XXXIV

I wasn't woken up by the pleasant feel of the sun on my face, but instead by screaming coming from downstairs. I bolted upright, wondering what the hell it was. It didn't sound like somebody was in trouble, but I couldn't wrap my head around who could be arguing downstairs. I had certainly never heard Connor and Daxx argue. Plus, Mary and Angel still weren't back yet, so it couldn't be them either. 

I felt the body underneath me stir and my lips made an 'o' shape as I realised who it could be. I climbed out of bed, trying not to wake up Jimmy; he could probably do with the sleep. I scrambled to pull on a shirt and gym shorts, not wanting to barge in on a serious conversation half naked. I quietly closed the door behind me, jogging down the stairs.

I was met with the sight of a red-faced couple and a police officer in my hallway- Daxx and Connor were trying their best to reason and calm them down. The man was having none of it, screaming in Daxx's face that he was 'breaking the law' by keeping Jimmy here and that he was 'sick and twisted'. I grit my teeth, feeling defensive towards my family. I knew Daxx was an adult and could deal with this professionally, but I still felt like curb stomping the guy.

"Bring our son down right now. We know he's here. Several of his friends let us know that he would run off here. It's sick the kind of ideas you've planted in his head: normalised. You should have your therapy license revoked." The guy spat, ignoring the police officer trying to get him to take a step back.

"It's sick the kind of ideas you've planted in his head: demonised. You should have your parenting rights revoked." Daxx hissed, making my eyebrows shoot up, "Remember, I'm the one who actually listens to how he feels- not you. I know about everything you've done- everything you've said. So, I would back the fuck up."

I had never seen him act like that. It was actually quite threatening. Jimmy's dad went an even deeper shade of red- which I couldn't believe could even happen without him passing out- and took another step forwards. I gasped, thinking he was about to swing for Daxx, but his attention was diverted to me, instead.

"You. I've heard a fucking lot about you this morning." He screamed, marching in my direction, "All of his friends told me about you. Preying on him when he was seven? You're sick. This is all your fault. I'll fucking kill you."

His snarls sent shivers down my spine, making my lip quiver slightly. I hid how I felt- scared to show fear. I was frozen where I was as he rushed towards me, shoving me up against the staircase by the scruff of my collar. I tried to scramble away, but he pushed me further into the glass stairs. He was so close that I couldn't make out if the drumming in my ears was my heartbeat, or his. It only took a split second for the police officer to be right behind him, trying to pull him off of me.

"Get the fuck off of him." Jimmy's voice snapped from the top of the staircase.

All of our eyes flitted up, seeing the absolute rage on his face. His face was stoney and it scared me slightly, seeing how much anger he had towards his father right now. The police officer used this opportunity to drag Jimmy's dad off of me- Jimmy helping me up and checking my neck. He took my hand, squeezing it to let me know it was okay. I wonder how he's so calm? Surely it should be me squeezing his hand? I did it back, just for good measure.

"Let go of his fucking hand!" His dad screamed, "I didn't want to believe your friends, but I can see they're right. You're a queer."

"They're not my friends!" Jimmy shouted back, exasperated, "You think my friends would wreck your house like that? Put the damn windows through? I want nothing to do with them."

"So you admit it?" His mum suddenly chimed in, all of us turning to her now.

"Admit what? That I'm gay? Or that I'm a faggot?" Jimmy spat, making me flinch.