Chapter 4

Soulmate: A connection between two people that is mentally and physically the strongest bond that exists. In this world soulmates are incredibly rare. Only 1% of the human population have soulmates, and only .01% ever find their fated partner. But, on the occasion that soulmates do find each other, the relationship will last forever, said to even continue in the afterlife. 

Kasumi stared at her room ceiling, laying on her bed. 'To think that I would have a soulmate... well, there's very little chance that I will ever see them, so I shouldn't have to worry about anything. I should just focus on graduating and opening my shop.'

Feeling exhaustion take over her, she pulled the covers over her and got comfortable, quickly falling asleep.

-Time Skip | One Month- -Kasumi's POV-

Shin and I walked up to the board where it displayed who was in certain exam venues. I searched for mine and saw that we were both in different rooms, so that disappointed me a little but that was soon forgotten as Shin flipped someone over, holding his arm behind his back.

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING?! RELEASE ME!" The man yelled, trying to get out of Shin's hold. "What are you doing? Don't go casually grabbing other people's shoulder." Shin said nonchalantly, releasing the douche.

"HOW DARE YOU?! I AM KURT VON RITSBURG!" He exclaimed, boasting his noble title. A questioned mark appeared about Shin, "And? Hello, I'm Shin." A few people in the crowd started laughing at Shin's comback, making the douche growl as he stared at Shin with hatred. "I'm Kasumi," I gave a forced smile, feeling my anger build up at his behavior.

"I am the eldest son of the Ritzburg family...!" He said through gritted teeth. "Yeah, sure you are..." Shin mumbled, rubbing the back of head. I stepped forward, glaring at Kurt. "Listen Kurt, using your family's influence at this school is against the law, as decreed by the royal family, so you should watch your tongue."

Kurt glared at me, holding his hand up as he was about to slap me before he was interrupted by a calm voice. "Stop right there." Everyone looked in the voice's direction. "Using one's family's powers to harm others in this magic school is taken as an act that dis-serves promising magic users. Severe punishment will be dealt to those who do it. It's not just a rule regulated by the school, it's a law established by the royal family as Ms. Kasumi was saying."

Kurt looked at the new arrival in horror, "Y-You are...!!" 

The person continued, glaring at Kurt, "Or... do you dare challenge the royal family?" Kurt glared back, sweat dripping down his face as he realized that he couldn't win this. "No, I wouldn't think of it!!"

"Then I'd like to ask you to stop causing a scene. This is an exam venue, you'll disturb the other registrants." The teen said, staying calm. "Y-Yes..." Kurt stuttered, disappearing into the crowd. 

The blonde teen chuckled, approaching the two of us. I stared at him, feeling my soulmark pulse more as he got closer. The boy faltered a little but chuckled a little, successfully hiding it. "Hehe... the way you introduced yourselves was funny. Just as I've heard, you, Shin, know little of how society works." The blonde said.

"What?" Shin said dumbly.

"I am August Von Earlshide. Close friends call me Aug." Earlshide... so this is Uncle Dis' son?

"Oh, so your Uncle Dis' son." Shin commented nonchalantly, not noticing how everyone stared at him in shock or horror. August looked at him with a stunned look before he laughed, "'Uncle Dis' son you say... that's the first time I've been referred as some uncle's son. Other people usually try to flatter me the moment they realize I am the prince."

Me and Shin exchanged a look, Shin speaking up, "I dunno, I've always thought of Uncle Dis as my own uncle. To me, you're just like a cousin..." I nodded a little, though I'm not sure if I should feel this way towards a cousin.

And... I kind of feel like thin air right now. August has yet to even acknowledge my presence.

August chuckled a little before it turned into full-blown laughter. "I see... "Cousins". You're interesting. I want to stay here and talk more with you, but..." August paused as he got a good look at me.

A small blush appeared on his face as he stared at my eyes, and I started shift uncomfortably. He suddenly took my hand in his and bowed, "You are Kasumi, correct? You're a complete beauty." He complimented, kissing my hand. I blushed, stuttering, "T-Thank you, A-August..." 

He looked up at me and smiled, "Please, just call me Aug." I nodded, feeling my face overheat. Shin looked at me smugly and I glared at him, knowing he was probably going to tease me about this later.

"U-Um... E-Exam! We need to get to the exams..." I remembered, pulling my hand away and holding it to my chest while my face was cherry red. August looked at the board then looked back, smiling at me. "What a lucky coincidence. We have the same exam venue." I looked at the board in shock, seeing that it was true.

I hesitantly nodded and waved goodbye to Shin, following August to our exam venue. While we were walking, August broke the awkward silence. "Tell me, do you have a crescent moon somewhere on your skin?" I stared at him with wide eyes and nodded, "Yeah, it's on my leg..."

August gave a sigh of relief, moving his shirt collar so I could see his own crescent moon. "Then... it's nice to meet you, my soulmate."  My jaw dropped.

"Eh? Wh-Wait, WHAT?! You're my soulmate?!" I exclaimed, leaning to get a closer look at his mark. "If what you told me about your mark is true, then yes."

I rolled the fabric connected to my heels down a little and compared our marks, seeing they were exactly the same. "Y-You're right..." I stuttered, rolling the fabric back up.

August took my hand in his, "Let's hurry and get to the exam venue now." I nodded, letting him hold my hand.