Healing

*Mary's P.o.v*

It's been 5 months since I've been in therapy, I've been taking the divorce pretty hard but I'm learning to cope with other things in life like my anger and anxiety. I've been spending a lot more time with Max and taking him to the park and staying active. He's been doing well in school. Though Demi is drugged up, I let her come over, I don't talk to her but I want to be able to make sure that while she hangs out with Max she's sober and he's safe. Demi has been the same. She seems a lot more distant from herself though. She doesn't smile anymore, and she's always looking like she's a ticking time bomb. As much as she hurt me I still love her and worry about her. Her mom and management have been trying to help her but she's being deflective and making up excuses of why she doesn't get help. As I stated before, you can't help someone who doesn't want to be helped. 

In other news, Demi has apparently already started dating. Some guy named James. As much as I  thought she was into girls she's dating this dude. He looks like he gets just as high as she does. Am I jealous? Yeah how can I not be, that's my wife..ex wife. She really moved on as if we weren't together for all of these years. I couldn't imagine dating so quickly but then again life is unexpected. 

Today I was going to a ceremony for Max, he got honor roll and I wanted to be there to see him get his award. He was such a smart boy. The only thing that sometimes saddens me is that he has Demi's smile. Besides that fact, I got him an Xbox, he's been wanting to play this game called Fortnite that his friends keep talking about. I'm glad he had friends that wanted to play with him outside of school. 

I put on a cute little dress suit and did my hair to the side. Demi was invited but I didn't expect her to come because she said she's going to be in the studio recording some songs for her upcoming album. When I got to his school there was a seat in the third row for me. There was an empty seat next to me. I was hoping Demi would come and not disappoint Max. As I'm sitting down waiting for the ceremony to start, I look at other parents with their significant others and I start to get a bit sad. I really thought me and Demi would be coming to these things together as a family. As I drift off into my thoughts I'm interrupted by a tap.

"Earth to Mary, can you scoot over?" Marissa says.

I invited her because she's still my best friend and Max's favorite person. She hasn't talked to Demi because Demi cut her off and stopped hanging out with her. 

"Thank you for coming, at least someone shows up besides me" I smile at her. 

She grabs my hand and assures me "Of course."

The ceremony started. Max looked so cute in a button up and dress pants. He saw me in the crowd and smiled big. He also waved making my heart melt. I was so proud of him.In the middle of the principal talking, everyone turned their heads to the back door as a late pair came in. I    couldn't see them because the room was dark and the lighting was focused on the students, they did that to prevent embarrassment of late parents and students. 

As the shadows get closer my stomach falls into a pit. It's Demi, but she didn't come alone, she came with her boyfriend James. As angry as I wanted to be, this day is about Max. 

They quietly sat next to Marissa and Demi and Marissa made awkward eye contact. James wrapped his arm around Demi which made me fume on the inside. I hold Mars hand to keep me from acting out. Demi looks at our hands and scoffs. She's one to scoff. 

"Max Lovato!" I hear the principle say giving him his honor roll award.I start clapping and smiling and taking a picture and then Demi gets up and starts yelling "That's my son y'all!" I roll my eyes because she hasn't been the one helping him with homework and taking him to school. Max smiles at us and sits back down.

After the ceremony we all meet in the school lobby. Demi is with James in a corner and I'm with Marissa waiting for Max to come down. I see Max in the corner of my eye and give him a big hug.

"My baby! I'm so proud of you!" I say giving him a kiss on his head.

Before I can get another word out Max excitedly looks as Demi approaches us. Max looks at James. 

"Who are you?" He asks with a bit of attitude.

"A friend of your moms, and I think good grades are pretty cool dude, here I got you a present to congratulate you." He says handing him a bag.

Curious of what it is, Max opens the bag.

"Woah an Fortnite Xbox?!?" He says excitedly.

"Yeah dude, we even got your name put into the controller". He says.

"Thank you Mommy's friend!" He gives him a hug and with the anger of him stealing my choice of gift and being Demi's boyfriend I begin to tremble. 

"Mommy are you cold?" Max asks.

"Yeah sweetie, we should go home, we'll  stop to get ice cream and pizza on the way home!" I    say to him. 

Max says bye to Demi and we walk to the car. Marissa gives me a look.

"I can't believe her, she's ridiculous."

I just nod in agreement. 

I give Marissa a hug goodbye and she goes to her car. 

I take Max to get his favorite pizza and some ice cream. He was excited to play Fortnite so I took him home. 

As we hooked up his Xbox, he says that it came with a second remote.

"Mom you have to play with me! We could kick butt!" He said handing me the controller.

Thinking of using anything that Demi has bought kind of made me want to gag but he is my son.

"Alright"

We begin playing and at first I was having trouble because he got the hang of it pretty fast. The hard part for both of us was building. I just loved spending time with him. 

"Alright Max, as much fun as you're having on this beautiful Friday night, it's 10 pm and time to get your stinky butt in bed" I say patting his butt. 

"Okay" he says making a puppy dog face.

After kissing him goodnight and putting him to bed I go lay on my bed. And my thoughts start to circulate. Demi really brought James and ruined my present. She had the audacity to bring someone that Max didn't know. Max is still trying to understand the divorce and this dude is only making it harder. As I continue swimming in my thoughts I'm interrupted by my cellphone ringing. 

"Hey Mar what's up?"

"Mary..."

"Mar what's up you're scaring me, are you okay?"

"Check the news." 

That was never a good sign of words. 

I turn on the news and I see it right away. My heart breaks and I feel myself sink into the bed. 

"Demi Lovato has been rushed to the hospital after she was found unconscious in her LA home. There are no words on her condition but it is said she has overdosed on opioids."