my hero

Author: ToDryHerEyes on archiveyourown

*Trigger Warning: Main character is at gunpoint in the first few paragraphs! Skip the first 6-7 paragraphs to avoid that part, or skip to the first page line to skip the scene altogether!*

Camila Cabello walks down the vacant streets at 12 in the morning, feeling calm and peaceful, which is a big step-up considering all the stress that has been piling up on her these past few weeks. Midnight strolls were what calmed her down these days. Her best friend and roommate, Dinah Jane, looks at her crazy each night she steps out that door, as most people would be afraid to be outside in the city late at night, and Camila used to be one of them. Now, she sees no reason to fear taking a walk this late. The only living beings she seems to notice while walking are the occasional stray dogs and cats hanging around, and possibly some other people that don't seem to bother with her. She feels safe and sound walking at night, and nothing could change that.

Suddenly, she hears a scream coming from the alley nearby. "Help!" A lady yells. Part of Camila urges her to run away as fast as possible until she reaches her apartment, but another part of her wants to help the lady. What if something happens to her, and she was able to stop it? Now, she knows the logical thing to do would be to walk into the situation as carefully and stealthy as possible, but Camila was the type to panic, so she speeds into the alley where she saw a man in a mask holding a woman at gunpoint and her purse.

Camila freezes in shock. She wasn't expecting to be handling a gun or a six-foot man, but she knows she has to think fast before someone got hurt. With all her power, she charges towards the man facing the opposite way to grab the gun, but he reacts quickly by snatching her arm and pulling her into a headlock. The lady is instantly released from his grasp, and she looks at the two with fear, unsure of what to do next. Camila eyes her with a plead for help, and the woman looks back with sympathy. "What are you looking at? Get going!" The man snaps with his hand over Camila's mouth.

"I'm sorry." The woman retrieves her purse from the ground and speeds off as quickly as possible.

That's what I get for trying to help, apparently, Camila thinks to herself. "Wait! Come-"

"Shut up!" The man scolds her, pushing the gun towards her temple with force. "No one is coming for you." She sobs silently, hoping for somebody to come to the rescue. She's petrified that if she fights back, he'll immediately pull the trigger.

As he is seconds away from making a fateful decision, a mysterious woman with a mask swoops down from the top of the building and knocks the gun from his hands. Without hesitation, he releases Camila from his arms in an attempt to recover the weapon, causing Camila to fall backwards. Before he could snatch it, the woman grabs him from his shoulders, shoves him to the wall, and smashes his nose with her knee. She takes the weapon and places it on her person, and the man flees from the scene before she could react, unarmed and injured. "That man-" The woman scoffs, "Is powerless without a gun in his hand."

She turns towards Camila, who was shivering and sitting on the ground where she fell, and walks towards her. She kneels down and removes her jacket and places it over Camila's shoulders. "Are you alright? Are you hurt?"

Camila continues to shiver, clutching the jacket over her arms and avoiding eye contact with the other girl. "Yeah- I mean, no- I mean- I'm alright, and I'm not...harmed."

"Do you need me to escort you home?" She offers, worried about the girl whose life she just saved, "I wouldn't want to leave you here alone after what just happened."

"N-no, I'm okay, thanks. I'm fine." The woman stares at her, feeling guilty at the thought of leaving her to head home by herself. "Seriously, I'm fine. Don't worry about me." Camila looks up at her, noting her distinct, olive green eyes- as it is the only thing she can really see. She seems like someone working as a vigilante into the night- a mask concealing everything but her lips and eyes, loose dark brown hair, dark clothing(with a long-sleeved shirt and shorts), and a pair of black boots. Something tells Camila this wasn't her first time in a situation like this. "Thank you."