fun fair

author: schwanenkoenigin on aoo

It is the most beautiful day out. Trees are blooming, birds are chirping, bees are flying around; everything is green and wonderful. For once, Camila has decided to make something out of it. Instead of staying at home, being bored to death, she'd called Lauren this morning. She'd told her she wanted to spend this incredibly sunny spring day with her best friend. "And who may that be?" she'd immediately teased her, but hadn't gotten much of an answer; Camila had simply rolled her eyes, called her a dork, and then hung up.

This had led to Lauren greeting her with a light punch to the shoulder. The usual hug had not followed. This hadn't bothered Camila much on the outside. On the inside, however, she had been sad. A tiny bit disappointed. She had hoped to receive a hug. She always does. Why, you may wonder. You see, Camila loves affection, she loves touches and holding hands and all that physical stuff. And since Lauren doesn't feel the same way about that kind of thing, she feels Special. Because Lauren does do it with her. So when that hug is denied, she fears the worst. Mabe Lauren doesn't love her anymore—as a friend—or maybe found a better best friend.

"--you there?"

Camila shrieks. Jesus, she definitely hasn't listened to anything her friend has just said. She was busy being way too lost in her thoughts. "I'm-- I'm sorry, what?" She blinks, waiting for her companion to answer, all the while trying to wrap her head back around reality. It's kind of loud around them, to be honest, and there are a lot of people. How one manages to zone out under these circumstances, she's not too sure. She blames falling in love with her best friend.

Lauren lets out a laugh. "I could tell you weren't mentally with me there. I'm wondering if you want to go destroy some can pyramids."

Camila hums. It's not a bad idea, really. On the contrary, it's a great idea. It's something to pass their time with, it's not all that exhausting—no walking is involved—and it may give them a break from all the people. So she agrees. "Sure, let's go."

"Okay!" And without a warning, Lauren takes off. As if she's a goddamn athlete.

A dumbfounded Camila is left behind. She barely sees Lauren anymore after a few seconds; the woman is too mingled into the crowd already. With a shake of her head, Camila starts running as well, even though she'd promised herself she wouldn't do any exercise—this is precisely why she suggested going to a funfair in the first place and it is also why she agreed on throwing some cans off of a table—and arrives only a few seconds later as the stall is only a few hundred feet down the path. "Jesus," she coughs, "we couldn't have walked here?"

Laure shrugs her shoulders at Camila's accusatory gaze. "Whatever," she says, "we're here. And there aren't a lot of people here. So let's do this."

The younger woman bites her lip. It's true. There really aren't a lot of people here. Even though they haven't walked that far. Strange, she thinks, how, a few minutes ago, she felt like she was drowning in perfumes and smells and bodies that were trying to get past one another, and now she can breathe almost freely. She inhales and closes her right. "Alright." When she opens them again and turns to her right—to check how far she has to throw the ball—she swallows. "Lauren!" she says, shocked, "you said we were going to mess up some pyramids, not I'm going to embarrass you because there is no way you can even remotely hit the cans because you're too clumsy !"

There is a silence for a few seconds, but it's interrupted when Lauren cannot hold back her laughter anymore. "Wow," she says, then bites her lip to choke back more laughter, "that-- that was a lot of exposition."

The eye roll that follows is almost painful. It's mostly because how dare Lauren make fun of her, but it's also supposed to cover up the fact that Camila is already super embarrassed about the lack of skills she has in, well, essentially everything. She's so clumsy and she cannot estimate distances or how strong her throws have to be and she is going to be so bad at this. How and why did she agree to this? Yeah, okay, she knows but--