Chapter 13

"Welcome to Cloud Pink! The home of all that's trendy!" a life-sized hologram of a rock star popped up before her face suddenly, "If you want a tour of the place, please visit our TRIPS and TRICKS counter

"Welcome to Cloud Pink! The home of all that's trendy!" a life-sized hologram of a rock star popped up before her face suddenly, "If you want a tour of the place, please visit our TRIPS and TRICKS counter..." The live hologram sang. The crowd ignored it as usual as they collected their luggage from the scanning booth.

"Spam!" someone muttered under their breath as they crossed her, elbowing their way through the rush of passengers.

Cloud Two or Cloud Pink as they called it fancifully, had the largest airport and the incoming and outgoing of all clouds. This was mainly because all the movie screenings, premieres, concerts and shows were organized in the cloud itself and those who bought tickets had to travel from other clouds. The people from Cloud One, and Cloud Three were obviously wealthy enough and were the nearest to the hub of entertainment.

Alizeh sighed as she looked at the address on her cellphone and proceeded to the checkout counter. Her throat felt dry and she didn't know if it was from her nervousness due to work or her excitement following Mrs Maxton's reveal. She looked longingly at the airport café and all the people enjoying their latte. She couldn't afford the extravagance just yet. She quickly moved past the stalls only to bump into a broad chest. She yelped and stepped back hastily, "Sorry sir."

"Ma'am. Are you Alizeh Parekh?" he asked, giving her a curt bow. This is the first time someone had addressed her in that way. She floundered for a proper word when he said, "Miss Arya sent me here with the car to pick you up."

Her employer sent a car to pick up her maid? She must be dreaming.

"Uh, yes!" she stuttered, not knowing what all to make of this situation.

"This way please, Miss!" he gestured, grabbing her luggage and escorting her out of the airport.

She tagged along, taking in the view around her, of the grand airport milling with people. The front was covered in exquisite murals from the bygone ages which reminded her of Nina. It had been four days without seeing her and Alizeh was already looking forward to the weekend. But that would mean going back to the cloud. What would Mrs. Maxton say?

She was so lost in her thoughts that she hadn't noticed the man opening the back door of the car. She hopped in and closed the door as he slid into the driver's place. He pressed some switches and the AC sent soothing waves, which caressed her skin lightly. He cranked up the radio which soon began baring pop music as the JetCar groaned to a start. Alizeh settled comfortably in the back seat, getting lost in the scenery outside.

Each shop gleamed in neon fronts and ground glass designs. Pink was the dominant colour in the place and after some time the bling and the glitter almost hurt her eyes as they had gotten used to the dull grey of Cloud Nine. She closed her eyes, laying back on the car seat. A sense of serene bliss flowed over her as this was a different experience from the life of hardship she had gotten used to.

A sharp ring from her phone jolted her up. How long has it been? She looked at her watch. Three hours? Three f*cking hours. It was only supposed to take half an hour to her mistress's destination. The phone went silent.

"How long?" she tapped him on the shoulder.

"We were stuck in traffic," he said briefly.

She didn't quite believe him and picked up her phone. Eight missed calls from her employer! Shit! She's in big trouble.

"Your mistress called. What should we say?" Alizeh panicked.

"Don't worry," the man's voice was smooth as silk, "I already called her to inform that we'd be late."

"You did?" she wasn't convinced and picked up the phone to dial.

"Mistress wouldn't be pleased with you disturbing her. It's her nap time," he gestured to the outside and sure enough, the sky was taking the rosy hue of the afternoon fading into the evening.

She put down her phone but her mind wasn't at rest. She should at least apologize. She tried calling but a beep appeared at the other end. She called again and this time Arya picked up the call, "Where are you, Alizeh!" her voice sounded more frantic than angry. Something was amiss."I am with your driver," she blurted.

"My driver has been waiting for you at the airport for four effing hours," she screamed in panic, "He said you never showed up. Who are you with...? I..." the voice was abruptly cut off. Alizeh's hands began to shake. Who was she driving with and where was he taking her?

"You can't put through any more calls. This car is network proof and obviously soundproof."

"What do you want from me? I don't even know you," Alizeh whimpered.

"Even I don't know you. I'm just following orders," he replied, not taking his eyes off the steering.

"Let me go!" Alizeh screamed, launching herself at him. She had been trained in self-defence while she lived with her family. A black wall shot up between the driver and her, shutting her off completely. At the same time the windows changed colour and became tinted. It was pitch dark inside. "Let me out," she banged on the partition.

"No use. I'm a mind reader. I can see through your tricks, girl," her kidnapper chuckled. "So it'd be best for you to not make a sound."

All the fight in her died down. It was entirely her fault. She hadn't bothered to cross-check her escort. Sweat broke out on her forehead as she collapsed on the back seat. She heard a soft hissing sound. The insides of her black prison seemed to be fogging up a little.

GAS!

He was gassing her to death. She waited for the choking and the burning but her eyelids became heavy instead. She was being drugged and dragged into God knows where on an unfamiliar cloud. Her consciousness began whirling as the images began to fade from before her eyes.