Chapter 27

"What exactly are you doing up there?" someone commented from below and Aileana jolted out of her visions to see a woman who is halfway up the wall

"What exactly are you doing up there?" someone commented from below and Aileana jolted out of her visions to see a woman who is halfway up the wall. She climbed deftly like a cat and perched herself beside Aileana.

"Nothing, just admiring the end of the cloud."

"So I can safely assume you're new here," the girl who was about the same age as her comments, fanning out her sleek black hair that fluttered in the winds like a curtain of silk.

"Yes. Do you come here often?" Aileana asked.

"I stay nearby," the girl said, her beautiful doe eyes scrunching up a little in a smile. The moonlight beautifully complemented her glowing skin.

"That's beautiful. You can enjoy the view then."

"Not for long," she sighed, before turning to the sea. The edges were now being coloured in kyanite blue, edged with light amethyst.

"Meaning?" Aileana frowned her brows in confusion.

"Do you have a home?" the girl turned her head slightly to her.

"Yes, but I don't have a job to pay the rent," Aileana sighed.

"Me too and that's why we lost a roof over our head. We stay in a tent now," the kohl-lined eyes turned sad.

"You mean there are more of you?"

"Forty-six people exactly. They impoverished us because we don't have anything to contribute to the modern cloud civilization. I hate this wall you know?" she banged her fist against the wall in emphasis. "I wished I could just drop off."

"Incidentally I was imagining this very thing before you turned up."

"You wouldn't have been successful, lady. Believe me. Nobody can jump down from here," the girl now hoisted herself up and hovered her hands in the air, slightly tilting forward. And her hands touched an invisible barrier. It lit up in a million tiny grids of pale blue around her palm and began blinking.

"Damn! That's..."

"An alarm will sound at the cloud-rangers' station if I touch it for some more time," she drew back her hand and grinned, "Basically this cloud is a prison. But it's good for wayward youngsters who'd try to harm themselves in a stupid frenzy of emotions."

"Well, you've got a point there, friend," Aileana extended her hands, "Aileana."

"Miyoko," she shook hands, "I'm glad to meet you."

A silence fell between them as they looked at the fading colours of the sky as the orange globe seemed to yawn over the surface of the sea that was now steel blue.

"But I found a way around this barrier. This can be deactivated from a control centre and believe me, our men have got it rigged. We have a control remote now." Miyoko murmured, out of the blue.