Chapter 24

"Pink Plasma Mojito for us," Aileana set down the glasses with a violent clink

"Pink Plasma Mojito for us," Aileana set down the glasses with a violent clink. The pink liquid swirled in a clear alcoholic base like agitated plasma in a sea of liquid.

"I'll just go grab a Candycloud Shake," Alizeh got up. Aileana's eyes followed her as she made her way to the bar. She couldn't even walk slowly to bid some time. She fidgeted on her feet, not daring to look back. The barman placed her tall glass on the counter and smiled at her mockingly. "Yes. I don't drink. Got it?" Alizeh looked straight at him, wishing she looked like Agent Z. The ogling man's smile faded on his lips as she flipped her hair and walked off with the red and white drink jiggling in the glass.

She felt the tension in the air as she settled on her chair. Aileana was sitting with her arms crossed and her drink untouched. Nina was shuffling uncomfortably in her seat. Seeing Alizeh she sat up a bit straighter.

"So, what are you hiding from me?" Aileana crossed her arms, looking from one to the other.

"We aren't hiding anything, Lean..."

"I'm not a fool. I believe my own ears when I hear something," Aileana cut her off rudely.

"And I don't think you should eavesdrop on conversations," Nina commented angrily. Aileana looked a bit taken aback.

"Lean, listen," Alizeh spoke very slowly, hoping she'd understand what Alizeh meant to say, "I didn't say 'don't say to Aileana.'. I precisely said 'don't say about Aileana.' There's a difference."

"About? Why won't she say about me?" Aileana seemed to have bought the explanation, which was partly true.

"Because," Alizeh sighed, "where we work, those places aren't safe. They don't like people on our cloud. I don't want them to know we have someone in the cloud who's dear to us. It'll give them an advantage over us."

"Ah! You could've said it earlier," Aileana seemed to relax a bit.

"Because we know you don't like to be babied," Nina lied through her teeth. Her eyes met Alizeh's. Alizeh made sure hers had no expression on them.

"Look at us. We're sitting here arguing on our first outing. Damn!" Aileana got up, shaking her head.

"Who'll join me on the dance floor?" Nina announced, making her way to the darkest corner where the silver light overhead played in specks of all colours. Aileana immediately dragged Alizeh in the middle of a few enthusiasts who were busy shaking their booty to the tunes of the music. "I can't dance," Alizeh mumbled in protest.

"Come on. Everyone can dance," Aileana squealed before taking her hands and moving her own body to the tunes of the songs blaring from the atmos speakers. Aileana made some halfhearted swinging movements to her hips. Nina came from somewhere, clicking her fingers as she closed her eyes and both Aileana and she coordinated perfectly in a graceful motion. Alizeh felt awkward standing there in the middle of the disco floor.