Chapter 35

AGENT N

AGENT N

The mellow breeze blew steadily through the forest, ruffling her hair in various directions. The sunlight filtered through the canopy of the huge trees, lighting up her path. The shadows of the leaves played on the ground and the flowy red dress of her partner. Her hair was swept up in a tight ponytail today and it rippled like water at each wave of the wind. She looked beautiful and radiant, almost too pretty to be real.

"Hey, what are you staring at," Agent M, who had gotten ahead of her, waved at her.

"Just you," Agent N replied, running to catch up.

"Is there a time when you don't think of me?" she winked.

"Not really babe!" Agent N's arms encircled her slender waist as she bent down and kissed her beautiful blush pink lips. She flushed a shade of deep purple and giggled.

"Come on gals. Move yo lazy asses faster. We don't fly around here as we did on the clouds," a shrill whistle pierced their ears, "We have a meeting with the Clouds."

"Yes Lady Makenna!" they both shouted in unison, scampering after the leader of the Earth base.

"Tsh...Tsh...Seniora!" a little voice whispered from the bushes as they passed by.

"Chengpai, is that you?" Agent M's eyes lit up like a little child. She was always jolly, always happy. She carried an optimistic vibe always and she was a perfect contrast to the pessimist hiding in Agent N.

She sighed. The clouds still haunt her. The dark, more so. But her partner was the light beam to her darkest fears and they blended well into an even grey. She liked spending time with the girl. The attraction had been instant as they had gone for a walk down the moonlit trails. They had kissed then and it felt so natural that they started acting silly. Soon enough everyone in the camp was aware that they were a thing.

"Chengpai, come out sweetie. You don't have to fear us," Agent M crooned again as a thin figure emerged in shy steps. A mass of noodle-like hair framed the little pale head. Her big brown eyes shone in excitement as she held out her tiny arms. She was holding a bunch of ripe berries. Wild fruits were common in the area and the local tribes from the hills used those as food. Little Chengpai seemed quite happy with her discovery.

"Aww, these are so sweet. Thanks, little lady," Agent M smiled broadly at the girl, who promptly turned back and scampered into the bush, probably to find more berries.

"Here," M tossed a ripe blue fruit at N. She dived and caught it in her mouth, wincing from the pungent taste. Munching on more fruits they reached the small building which was their communicating base. It was filled with gadgets and radars and receivers with an assortment of various other machines under construction.

"Lady A, I assure you. There will be no breach of connection. We'll even have a base ready just in case they need to transport urgently," Lady Makenna spoke, handing over the phone to N.

"Hello my lady," Agent N brought some added honey into her voice.

"Listen Agent N. I'm handing over the phone to Agent Z. She'll give you the rest of the instructions..." the sound faded for a while and a new voice took its place. Agent N almost dropped the phone in surprise.

"Agent N, hello?" the voice of Agent Z floated over.

"H...Hello," Agent N stammered, trying her best to grab her composure.

"Listen. Agent Wrench here will go and give you a magnetic chip which you have to place on the transporter base you are making ready. That'll help me search it on my radar," she instructed, "And he'll give you a small monitor with which the tracker on my dress will be synced. Hello, you there?"

Agent Z's voice sounded concerned, perhaps worrying about connection failure.

"Ah...Yes...Yes," Agent N breathed deeply, "And why do we need to track you? What are you doing?"

"I'm sorry, but I can't tell you about the plans. The less people know about this, the better. Maybe once the operations are set in action, you'll be able to visualize my moves. And why you need to keep a watch is because just in case anything happens to me, you need to sound an alarm in the other Clouds to evacuate," her voice sounded sad yet professional. She seemed resigned to her fate and determined to carry out her duty.

"Sure. Take care," she added softly before Agent Z disconnected.

She collapsed against the wall, tears brimming at the corners of her eyes.

"What's the matter?" Agent M placed a hand on her shoulder.

"Just some old memories," Agent N smiled sadly.