04 Match

Hikari squeaked as she heard the loud clang of the doors as Daichi slammed them shut, locking Kageyama and Hinata outside the gym.

Daichi still had a foul expression on his face as he walked towards the rest of them.

Hikari didn't know what to do in this situation. She was the only freshman inside the gym now. She could hear Kageyama and Hinata apologizing profusely, promising they'd work with each other as long as they were allowed to join the team.

"Are you sure about this, Daichi?" Suga spoke up, turning to the captain. "You know we need them, right? Besides, it takes time to become a team."

Daichi's mood hadn't changed a bit. "I know that."

"Please let me join! I'll team up with him if that's what it takes!" Kageyama's voice was suddenly louder.

The three members of the team simply stared at their captain as he opened the door a little, peeking through the small gap.

They couldn't see his facial expression from inside the gym, but they could tell from Kageyama's that he still has the same look on his face, if not worse.

"Tell me the truth." Daichi ordered, not appreciating the lies he knew the two freshmen were spewing out.

Kageyama froze like a deer caught in headlights as he struggled to get his words out.

The look Daichi was giving him had him absolutely frightened, not giving him the chance to utter another lie.

Kageyama avoided Daichi's gaze and with a look of disgust on his face, quickly muttered under his breath. "If I have to work with him in a match, I'd rather receive, set, and spike every single ball by myself."

Hikari couldn't believe the words that spilled out of his mouth.

'What in the world is that aho thinking?!' Hikari thought with a deep sigh.

But Daichi surprisingly let out a hearty laugh.

"I can't believe you told me how you actually felt." He said through his laughter.

Hikari cocked her head to the side. Does this mean he's letting them inside now?

"That's good, I can live with that." He said with a smile, before adding, "but volleyball is a team sport. You can't touch the ball twice, so you can't fight alone." And with that, he shut the door again.

I guess that's a no then.

Daichi then turned to the members in the gym, clapping his hands, with a smile still plastered on his face. "Alright, alright. Let's get to practice. Come on."

Hikari spared another glance at the door, thinking about her boyfriend who was right behind that door.

"Tsubasa!" Daichi suddenly called out to her.

"Yes, Captain?" She turned around, looking back at Daichi.

"Come on, I'd like to test your abilities." He smiled, motioning for her to follow him.

"Right!" She nodded and followed him onto the court, with Suga and Tanaka in tow.

"You're a wing spiker, right?" Daichi asked, despite knowing the answer.

Hikari nodded her head in reply.