10 Comfort

It was now Tuesday, and Hikari hasn't been sleeping well after the incident with her cousin. It was no wonder Hikari fell asleep again during class.

"Tsubasa!"

"H-huh?" She bolted from her seat and stared at the teacher in front of her, still disoriented from just waking up.

"This isn't the first time this has happened, Tsubasa." Her modern Japanese literature teacher scolded her.

"Sorry, Sensei." She whispered, eyes cast down in shame as she recalled falling asleep in class yesterday as well.

"Don't let this happen a third time." He said curtly, before telling her to take her seat.

Hikari sat down, tucking some loose hair behind her ear, and turned her attention to the teacher, who was discussing a poem Hikari wasn't familiar with.

Before she could fully immerse herself in the lecture, a small, crumpled piece of paper rolled onto her table.

She looked around to look for the sender of the note. Tsukishima glanced at her briefly before turning his attention back to the teacher.

Hikari took the paper ball in her hands and discreetly opened it up, glancing at the blackboard every now and then.

What is wrong with you?

I'm only asking because Yamaguchi won't stop bugging me to ask you.

Hikari raised an eyebrow at the message that was neatly scrawled out at the top, before sparing a glance at the freckled boy who sat behind Tsukishima.

He briefly flashed her a worried smile, before looking down at his notes and started writing something the teacher said.

Hikari acted like she was listening to the teacher, nodding here and there, before taking her pen out of her pocket, and started scribbling a reply, being careful not to draw extra attention to herself as she did so.

Tell him not to worry then. I'm fine.

Hikari balled up the piece of paper again before subtly letting it fall to the ground, and letting out a soft cough to gain the blocker's attention. Once he made eye contact with her, she briefly glance at the floor before looking back at him, and kicking the balled up paper over to him.

Hikari stifled a giggle as Tsukishima pretended to accidentally drop his pen. He sighed audibly and bent over to pick it up, also taking the balled up piece of paper when he did. She watched as he wrote on the piece of paper. He waited for the teacher to turn around and write something on the board, before chucking the ball in Hikari's direction.

Hikari caught the ball and pretended she was trying to read what was on the board, when the teacher turned around to continue his lecture.

Hikari discreetly opened up the ball of paper and froze as she read his reply.

Try coming up with a better lie.

The bags under your eyes say otherwise.

Hikari's hand unconsciously reached to feel under her eyes, before scowling at the piece of paper and furiously scribbling another reply.

It's none of your business.

And leave my eyes alone!!

The two continued passing each other notes in class like that, not paying attention to their teacher as he continued the class, but paying enough attention to him to make sure they're not caught. Hikari made a mental note to ask Yamaguchi for some notes on today's lecture later on.