Tall dark and handsome

The next chapter will be out next Wednesday, I'm going to aim to update this every Wednesday just because I'm updating other stories Monday and Friday so I want a few days to proof read and get ahead of some chapters.

Chapter 4

Another day another shift but luckily tonight my shift was nearly over, just ten more minutes and I could get back to my little apartment and relax. As the last few minutes of my shift came to an end I said goodbye to Kim and Mel who had the pleasure of closing tonight. Getting changed in the back I slipped back into my black skinny jeans and red crop top, realising my hair from its bobble my blonde curls were free to blow around in the cool Santa Carla air.

As I began walking down the boardwalk I heard someone call my name. Now not many people knew me, only the people I worked with, the people at the local shop and maybe one of two people that I had encountered while out. So I just carried on walking, it was probably someone else with the same name they were shouting. That was until a tall dark figure came jogging in front of me.

"Hey Rose, I was shouting you, didn't you hear me?" it was Dwayne. Now when he said he'd see me around I didn't actually think he meant the next day, I thought of it as more of an expression.

"I'm sorry I just thought it was someone with the same name" I laughed stopping so he could get his breath back.

"Are you not working tonight?"

"I've actually just finished my shift so I was heading home"

"The night's still young, why don't you hang with me for a bit? My brothers are busy so I'm just wondering around" he explained. I felt bad that he was on his own but I had no doubt he'd be able to find something to do and didn't need me.

"I don't know, I've got work in the morning so I just wanted to relax" damn me for agreeing to cover someone's morning shift. 

"How about you hang with me for an hour and I'll take you home?"

"Well I guess an hour won't hurt, what do you have in mind?"

"How well do you know the boardwalk?"

"Other than walking home I've not really spent much time on it" which was the truth, I'd only been here about two months and other than work I didn't go out.

"So is that a yes you'll join me?" He looked at me with puppy dog eyes.

"Fine but only for an hour and then I'm off home"

"This is going to be the best hour of your life" he chuckled as he led me towards the more crowded part of the boardwalk.

"I'll hold you to that" I laughed back.

To start the night Dwayne brought me over to some of the stalls, he explained it doesn't matter how corny they are, everyone must go on them at least once in their life or else they haven't really lived in Santa Carla. So that's what we did, by the end of going to the stalls I'd won three stuffed animals which I gave to passing children and a key ring which I did keep and put on my car keys.

Next was food and I was glad when he suggested Chinese, most people always go for pizza which always left me disappointed. Nothing compared to true Italian pizza fresh out the oven, so I tended to avoid them which was rather difficult when that's all that seems to be scattered about on the boardwalk. Sitting down at the quaint restaurant a lady handed us a menu and took our order, returning a few moments later to give us our drinks.

"So how long have you lived in Santa Carla?" Dwayne started off the conversation.

"I've been here about two months now, how about you?" I asked taking a sip of my drink.

"A couple of years"

"Do you enjoy living here?"

"For the most part, there's always something going on and you can be anyone you want to be here and no one judges you" he explained.

"I never thought about it like that, when I heard of this place I thought it was just runaways that came here"

"Isn't everyone running away from something?"

"I guess you're right, would you say you are?" I never really thought about it like that, I guess everyone has something they want to get away from whether it be overbearing parents or secrets that they can't share.

"Definitely there's things that I wanted to get away from and I was lucky enough to find the guys I consider my brothers to help me escape. What about you, are you running from something?"

"Isn't everyone?" I used his own line which caused a smile to cross his face.

"Well my mystery girl I hope this place is the escape that you need and whatever you're running from doesn't catch you" he said, then the lady brought our food and we both started eating, continuing with small talk about random things that weren't that important.

By the time we'd finished eating Dwayne's hour was up and I was having to leave which I was sad to be doing. I had a nice evening and if I didn't have work I'd probably stayed longer. Knowing this we left the restaurant and he began walking me back to my car that was at the other end of the boardwalk.

"Dwayne, you never told us you had a new girlfriend" An overly jolly voice said from behind us.

Turning to find the source of the voice we were greeted with one of the most wanna be rockers I had seen so far. He wore a mesh top with nothing underneath, white skinny jeans that were certainly not as white as they should have been, a long jacket almost like a musicians and to accompany the look, wild blonde hair that had been back combed to an inch of its life.

"That's because he doesn't," I laughed while Dwayne looked at me pouting.

"So this is why you ran off earlier" the blonde asked Dwayne before he could answer I butted in.

"I thought you said your brothers had left you?" I raised a brow as a sly smile crossed my face.

"You know if you wanted to hang without us it's cool but lying to such a pretty female that's not cool brother" the blonde giggled.

"Yeah Dwayne it's not nice to lie to such a pretty female" I flicked my hair over my shoulder and gave him a sweet smile, earning a roar of laughter from his friend.

"I like this chick"

"I have a name you know"

"Of course you do and what might your name be?"

"Rose and yours?"

"Rose what a beautiful name for a beautiful girl, you can call me Paul" he answered grabbing my hand to plant a kiss on my knuckles.

"Charmed to meet you Paul but unfortunately I was just about to go home so I'll see you around" I said and started to walk away.

"Can I not tempt you to stay out a little later?" he shouted after me.

"Maybe another time" I threw him a wink and continued walking back to my car.

Finally I was back home and away from the booming sound of the boardwalk. I loved the night life. It was always so active and vibrant just sometimes it was a little too much for my sensitive ears.