III: Freebooter

freebooter
noun. a pirate or lawless adventurer.

⚓⚓⚓⚓⚓

Pope complained almost the whole way to the motel, coming up with several scenarios in which one or multiple members of the crew would get hurt—or worse, arrested. Lee understood his fear, knowing his need to keep the huge merit scholarship he was supposed to receive in order to pay for college someday. She did not, however, have anything holding herself back from breaking the law. Well, her mom might skin her alive if she ever found out, but that was another matter. Her mom would never find out as long as Lee had something to say about it.

JJ whistled as the motel came into view. "I thought the Chateau looked bad."

"This place is a shitshow," John B commented.

Kiara raised an eyebrow. "Motel or meth lab?"

"You be the judge," Pope responded.

Lee frowned. "It looks like typical Cut architecture," she said skeptically, "and that's exactly why I'm confused."

"Doesn't look like a place somebody with a Grady-White stays," John B said in agreement.

Grady-Whites were extremely high-end boats—something that only a Kook from Figure Eight would be able to afford. Lee had several questions about why someone with that much money would want to stay in such a run-down motel.

"Looks like a place someone with a Grady-White would get killed," Pope said.

Lee stood up on the deck as they neared the shore, JJ grabbing the mooring line to tie the boat up.

"All right, here we go," JJ said, getting ready to jump off.

"This is your captain speaking," John B joked, pretending to be on an intercom. "HMS Pogue comin' in for landing."

Lee jumped onto the shore with JJ, eyeing the grungy motel as he tied the boat to a piling. Once the boat was tied up, John B hopped off, walking over to JJ and Lee.

"Hey, Lee," Pope said.

Lee walked over, leaning on the boat as she stared at Pope in question.

"Promise you won't let him do anything stupid," Pope said, gesturing at JJ.

"Oh, we will," JJ replied, grinning.

Lee shrugged, looking back at Pope. "I can promise that he won't do anything stupid alone," she suggested, smirking slightly.

Pope sighed, glancing at John B. "Will you keep them both out of trouble?"

"I'm not making any promises."

Pope stepped back as Kiara walked up to John B. "Be careful," she said, grimacing as she looked at John B.

JJ and Lee glanced at each other, eyebrows raised as they watched the unusual interaction between their friends.

"I mean it," Kiara finished forcefully.

"Let's go!" John B said, patting JJ's shoulder as he began walking towards the motel.

Lee pumped her fists in excitement and blew a kiss at Kiara. "I love you!" she exclaimed, smiling at her best friend.

Kiara pretended to catch the kiss as Lee turned back to JJ and John B, slinging an arm over each of their shoulders. She was significantly shorter than both of the boys and ended up walking on her tiptoes before releasing them, cursing her height. They only laughed at her.

"Why are all these mattresses out?" John B wondered, eyeing the mattresses that littered the front lawn and porches of the motel.

"After a hurricane, they have to ditch 'em 'cause they're all moldy," JJ explained.