XXV: Hurricane

hurricane
noun. a storm with a violent wind, in particular a tropical cyclone in the Caribbean.

⚓⚓⚓⚓⚓

It was lonely in the holding cell. Lee periodically shouted at the officers outside, begging them to let her go to the hospital and see her mom or pleading with them to believe her. She hated that they were taking Ward Cameron's word over her own. She hated that her friends were still in huge trouble because of it. She hated that they were out there without her, Barry chasing them down, John B needing to find an escape. She hoped they knew that she was okay and not to worry about her—but she was sure they would worry no matter what.

After what felt like hours, sitting alone in the cell, her vocal chords slowly going numb with her frustrated screams at the police officers, the door opened. In walked Officer Shoupe and an unfamiliar man, wearing a vest that said SBI across it.

State Bureau of Investigation? Lee wondered. So they haven't caught John B yet.

"Lena Carter?" The SBI agent asked, stepping forward as Shoupe shut the door behind them. Lee nodded in affirmation, her hands wrapping around the bars of her cell. "I'm Agent Bratcher. Officer Shoupe here tells me that you have an interesting perspective on what happened. I'd like to hear it, if you don't mind."

Lee exhaled sharply and her shoulders slumped with relief. Someone was going to listen to her. Someone was going to give her a chance. "Yes, of course," she agreed.

She turned around as Shoupe unlocked the cell door and handcuffed her. Allowing him to lead her through the police station, Lee kept her head bowed, avoiding the sharp glares of the other officers. They were right to be angry about the murder of Sheriff Peterkin, and Lee certainly felt somewhat guilty for it—she only hoped that she could convince Shoupe and Bratcher of the true killer.

Shoupe led her to a police car, where Landry was waiting with the back door open. Landry sent Lee an unfriendly sneer as she sat down in the back of the cruiser. Lee was unsure of where she was being taken and peered through the back window as they drove. The car ride across the island was quiet, the only noises being the occasional crackle of Landry's radio. When Landry finally parked, Agent Bratcher and Officer Shoupe pulling up on either side of him, Lee recognized her location immediately.

"Why are we at the Point?" Lee asked Landry as he pulled her out of the car. "What is all this?" she continued, noting the huge white tents that had been erected on the small peninsula.

Landry ignored her questions, pushing her ahead of him into one of the largest tents. Bratcher was just behind them, instructing Lee to take a seat at the long white table in front of her.

"So, Lena," Bratcher began, his voice much kinder than Shoupe's or Landry's had been, "tell me what happened at the airport."

Lee cleared her throat. "Before I went to the airport, Rafe Cameron stole my father's gun from me. I chased him and he led me to the airport. There, I saw Sheriff Peterkin arresting Ward Cameron. Rafe shot her before she could arrest Ward and then he threatened to shoot John B and I, so we ran."

The words poured out of her like a waterfall. Agent Bratcher sat quietly as she explained, occasionally glancing at Officer Shoupe, his eyebrow raised.

"Well, Lena," Bratcher said, taking a seat across from her, "Your story matches up with that of Sarah Cameron."

Lee's eyebrows furrowed, not expecting them to have heard from Sarah.

"However," Bratcher continued, folding his arms across his chest, "You also have a history of getting into trouble—as does John B. That gives each of you a motive to want the Sheriff gone. What motive would Rafe Cameron have? Or his father, for that matter?"