Epilogue: Castaway

castaway
noun. a person who has been shipwrecked and stranded in an isolated place.

⚓⚓⚓⚓⚓

"Lena! Are you almost ready?" Laura Carter shouted from downstairs. "It's not a good look to keep the police waiting!"

Lee rolled her eyes in annoyance. "Yes, mom! Just a minute and I'll be down!"

Today, Lee was going in to the station voluntarily to submit herself to police questioning about the murder of Sheriff Peterkin. Although JJ had urged her not to, Lee knew that this was the right thing to do. She needed to do this, not only for herself but for Sheriff Peterkin, for John B, and for Sarah. Giving up on brushing out her tangled curls, Lee grabbed her phone and purse before rushing downstairs.

"Okay," Lee breathed as her mother raised an eyebrow, inspecting her appearance. "What, is this not okay?" She glanced down at her outfit, which consisted of jeans and a semi-professional blouse.

Her mom eventually shrugged. "It's fine, I suppose," she decided. "Are you sure you don't want me to come with you?"

Lee nodded. "Yeah. You'd just be sitting in the waiting room for God knows how long. I can go by myself."

"Okay, but if you need anything—and I mean anything—I expect you to call me, understood?" her mother pressed. "Shoupe told me that there will be a state defense lawyer there to speak with you before you go in about self-incrimination and all that. And, Lee, don't be afraid to stop answering questions, okay? You have the Miranda rights and all that—"

"Mom," Lee interrupted, smiling at her mother's anxious kindness, "I'm gonna be fine. I've watched enough Criminal Minds to know what not to say in front of the police. Besides, I'm not guilty. I have nothing to hide."

Her mother took a deep breath before wrapping her thin arms around Lee. "Your dad would be so proud of you. You're so brave for doing the right thing, honeybee."

Lee laughed in humility as she embraced her mother. "It's just what I do," she said. Her mother's spine showed through her shirt as Lee ran her hands up and down her mom's back to soothe her. She bit her lip at the sight.

In accordance with what she had previously said, Laura Carter had agreed to go to Charleston to participate in a new, experimental treatment for cancer. Now, the plan was for Lee to stay with Pope's family, who had agreed to house and feed her for a few months as long as she helped out at the shop on occasion. Lee was pretty sure that Heyward was bluffing when he said he'd kick her out if she started slacking, since she knew that she was his favorite of the Pogues, but she didn't really want to try.

Neither Lee nor Laura had spoken to Ward about Charleston, but they were sure that he knew Laura had elected to participate based on the fact that her treatment had been paid for up-front by an "anonymous benefactor." Lee didn't like the idea that Ward was still supporting them financially, but she wasn't in a place to complain—they wouldn't have been able to pay for Charleston alone. Now, their remaining problem was finding a place for Laura to live for the twelve weeks that she would be there.

By the time Lee pulled up in front of the police station in her family's Camry, her palms were sweaty and her mind was racing with anxious thoughts. There was so much that could go wrong in speaking to the police, but this was what she needed to do. For John B and Sarah. Exhaling sharply, Lee climbed out of the car and walked inside.

"Hi, can I help you?" the receptionist greeted with a warm smile as Lee walked in.

Lee returned the smile, though hers was tense. "I'm Lee Carter, I'm here to speak with Shoupe."