XII: Overfalls

overfalls
adj. dangerously steep and breaking seas due to opposing currents and wind in a shallow area, or strong currents over a shallow rocky bottom.

⚓⚓⚓⚓⚓

Lee's mom was somewhat justifiably upset when Lee asked if she could go to the OBX Summer Movie Series. It had only been a few hours since Lee had been released from the hospital for almost drowning the previous day. Eventually, however, her mom caved, agreeing to drop Lee off at the event. Lee knew that the final movie was likely already on because it was so late in the day, but it was a summer tradition for her friends to go together. Plus, she needed to thank JJ and John B for saving her life. Stepping out of the backseat of her mom's car, Lee said a quick goodbye to her mother, promising to be home that night.

It was already dark out as she walked towards the crowd and Lee struggled to search for her friends. Squinting, Lee recognized Kiara's fold out chairs on the lawn but was surprised to see them empty. She quickly grew suspicious—it wasn't like her friends to leave their things unattended, especially at night when there were so many people around. JJ was especially protective of his stuff, although Lee didn't see his backpack with the chairs. As she walked closer to the screen, Lee still hadn't caught sight of her friends. Not wanting to block people's views of the movie, Lee quickly darted around the screen to pass to the other side of the crowd and continue her search.

Behind the screen, Lee was surprised to find her friends. She froze, noticing Kiara clinging onto Topper's back as Pope wrestled with him. JJ was being held by Kelce, a Kook that she didn't know very well, as Rafe punched him across the jaw. Kelce was the first to notice Lee, suddenly making eye contact with her. He froze for a moment before smirking.

"Hey, Rafe!" Kelce said, staring at Lee through the darkness. "It's Carter!" He nodded in her direction as Rafe slowly turned to face her.

Lee's heart hammered in her chest. Her friends' eyes locked onto her and even in the darkness Lee knew that they wanted her to leave. She was stuck to the ground as Rafe wiped his face, stalking towards her with a smirk.

"Lee! Haven't seen you in a couple nights." Rafe sneered. Lee's friends didn't move, terrified as Rafe walked right up to Lee, but she could see JJ's facial expression shift as he did the math on when Lee would have seen Rafe. "Did you swim here?" he asked mockingly. He was so close that Lee could smell his cologne.

She clenched her fists at her sides. Every bone in her body was begging her not to get into a fight but, oh, punching Rafe in the face sounded so satisfying. It might make him look more attractive if she broke his nose, Lee reasoned. She would be doing him a favor. Even if her entire body was so sore that she felt like she was going to collapse, it was so tempting.

"What's the problem, Lee?" Rafe mocked, taking a step closer to her so that she had to look up to meet his eyeline. "Fish got your lung?"

Lee couldn't help it. She swung her fist harder than she ever had before. She socked Rafe's jaw with a satisfying crack! before he had time to react. Everyone was still for another moment as Rafe rubbed his jaw, spitting blood onto the ground before turning to Lee angrily.

"Oh, you're dead, Pogue!" Rafe growled, lunging at Lee.

That was all that it took for everyone to jump back into action. Lee landed roughly on her back, Rafe kneeling above her. She brought her knees forward, pressing them up into Rafe's junk as he tried to crawl towards her face. He hissed in pain and, taking advantage of his moment of distraction, Lee shoved his face to the side. Rafe was thrown off balance and Lee scrambled to her feet.

"Lee!" Kiara suddenly shouted. Lee glanced at her friend, her eyes locking on the gun in Kiara's hands. Hearing Rafe cursing behind her, Lee lunged forward towards Kiara. She grabbed the gun from Kiara's outstretched hand just as Rafe's arm locked around her neck.