XIV: Parley

parley
noun. a discussion or conference, especially between enemies, over terms of a truce or other matters.

⚓⚓⚓⚓⚓

Lee struggled to keep from crying out as Kelce twisted her arms painfully behind her back. In front of her, she saw JJ being held in a chokehold as Rafe led the group to the other side of the locker room, sarcastically apologizing to the disturbed bathroom-goers for the disturbance as he did. JJ was fighting against the chokehold, his blue eyes desperate as his gaze locked on her. He tried to signal her to keep her mouth shut, but Lee had always prided herself on her trash talking abilities.

"Rafe!" she said boldly, sneering as Kelce tightened his hold on her arms. "You want a fucking piece of this? Come and get it."

Rafe grinned wickedly, glancing over Lee's shoulder at Kelce. "Keep her quiet, would you?" he said to his buddy.

As soon as Kelce loosened his grip on her arms, Lee threw her elbow into his chest, earning a satisfying ugh! as the wind was knocked out of him. Her freedom didn't last long, however, as two of Rafe's other friends pushed her back against a locker, successfully restraining her. She spat at both of them, but they ignored her as one of them wrapped his arm tightly around her neck, putting her in a tight chokehold.

She looked forward and saw Rafe pretending to swing a golf club at JJ. "What do you think?" he asked his friends. "A four iron, right?"

JJ was struggling against the tight hold of the boy behind him, watching Rafe nervously. Lee wrapped her hands around the arm of the boy holding her, trying to dig her nails into his exposed skin. He simply tightened his hold on her, muttering a curse word.

"Very brave of you, Rafe!" JJ taunted as he was pushed forward. "Five on two?"

Rafe shook his head. "Okay, if you could please stop talking, it's very disrespectful. I'm trying to hit a ball."

Lee curled her lip back angrily. "Come over here, Rafe," she growled. "I'll show you proper technique to hit a ball."

Rafe smirked, looking away from JJ. "Wow," he muttered, his glare focused on Lee. "That's so kind of you to offer, but I think I have it down. Don't you remember from our last run-in?"

She sneered, "I think you did most of the running there, Rafe."

Frowning angrily, Rafe stepped in front of Lee. Just a little closer, she thought.

"I also remember your backhand needing a little work," she continued taunting. Rafe took another step closer to her. "Allow me to demonstrate."

Lee grabbed the arm around her neck tightly, using it to lift her feet off of the floor. She sent one solid kick to Rafe's privates and, as he doubled over, sent another to his face. Rafe stumbled backwards, cursing as he held his nose. Lee clenched her jaw, steeling herself as he slowly straightened up, glaring directly at her.

"You bitch!" Rafe snarled. He took one threatening step towards Lee before pausing as JJ spoke up.

"You know, Rafe," JJ called out, sending Lee a warning look, "You should be thanking her. It might be easier for you to get girls after that nose job."

Rafe turned angrily, storming over to JJ until he was close enough that Lee thought JJ could probably smell his breath. She didn't imagine that it would smell very good.

"Your face looks really bad," Rafe said to JJ. "Starting to look like your dad a lot more."

Lee grimaced as JJ spat at Rafe, who laughed menacingly. "All right—" Rafe began, cut off as the lights suddenly flickered in the bathroom.