Chapter 14 - Final Chapter

Chapter 14

Breanne stood up and faced him with tears in her eyes. "Zandro this was so unexpected and so beautiful. Can we sit and talk for a minute? I want to give you the answer you want but we still have some unresolved things we need to talk about."

They sat on the couch and Breanne started the conversation, "What happened when we got back to Australia?"

"I have no real excuse. I was feeling threatened by my own feelings and I was trying to get away. Then I received a call that my mother had suffered a massive heart attack and I raced back to Italy."

"Oh my god I had no idea."

"That was my mistake. Thinking I could get through that time on my own when I had no need to. It was a particularly dark time for me as I wrestled with the responsibility of again looking after my mother and managing my business affairs. Everything seemed to go wrong at once and I was stretched thin working fifteen hours in a day and keeping up hospital visits. If you ask my staff they would tell you that I was an ogre to work for during that time."

"It's understandable you were under a lot of pressure," Breanne sympathised.

"Yes, but I am used to pressure and working under such conditions. The truth of the matter is my irrational mood had little to do with my work load or mothers health. It had everything to do with a little Aussie treasure that I had found and not kept by my side. The entire time I kept pushing the thought out of my mind. I was unwilling to admit to myself that I may actually need someone in my life. I'd sworn to myself from an early age that I would never be trapped by anyone."

"I have never set out to trap you Zandro."

"I know that, in fact, I would say that tonight shows you that I am the one trying to trap you to me. I had hoped that by showing you just how much I know you and finally putting on the perfect date for you that I could convince you to want to be with me forever," Zandro held his hands out palms up showing her that he was giving her every bit of him.

"When did you realise that you wanted more?"

"I'd become completely irrational and not just unbearable for my staff but I became unbearable to me. I decided that the only way to fix it was to get on a plane and head back to Australia and be with you. I really had no idea what it would look like or what I would suggest. I just knew that I could not continue to run from the best thing in my life."

Breanne made a little sound. It felt so good to have him really open up about his feelings.

"So then I arrived and made a complete ass of myself assuming that you were shacked up with a new young lover. I was jealous, I wanted to knock him out and drag you out of there like a cave man."

"Really, you can't be serious?" Breanne was amazed at his feelings and thankful he controlled himself. Lance really was a good natured kid and wouldn't have deserved that.

"Then you stormed off and it only took a minute for me to re-evaluate my opponent and realise that he was not actually an opponent. However, by then I'd done you the injustice of insulting you and I had a lot to make up for. For the first time I was stressed before a meeting."
"What do you mean?"

"When I met you to have my breakfast I was worried you would throw me out. Then when you gave me the thirty minute window of your time I knew that it would be the biggest and most important meeting of my life. Still I had no clue what I would suggest or say to you. In your presence though, the right things just seemed to come out to convince you to go on yet another date."

"I'm glad you did ask me out on another date. I had a fabulous time with you."

"Well yesterday I knew with certainty that I did not want just one date or one evening with you. I did not want you as a temporary person in my life. When I looked forward at my future I could only see you in it. That is when I went out and bought this ring."