Prologue

Raven sat at her writing desk by the window, hand hovering over the blank paper, her favourite pen clutched between her fingers. She placed the tip against the page, scrawling the first few words, letters like tiny picturesque artworks in and of themselves began to appear on the clean surface. She liked to write herself into fanfictions, and she had a cool idea for this particular story; she would write a character based on herself and have her as a highschool mate of Slash's, then have her crop up later because of her oldcontacts with Slash and meet the band.

The first sentence shone out from the paper,
It was a dark and stormy night.

She stopped, twirling the pen between her thin fingers. Such a stereotypical sentence. She crossed it out.
Rae was a sixteen year old girl in 1983. She had poker straight black hair, cute features, a small nose and sparkling blue eyes. She attended Fairfax high. It was an average American public school with rows of lockers, linoleum floors, a courtyard and a few ' round the back' sort of places where teenagers had the odd sneaky cigarette and did drugs. It was all painted in that dull, peeling light gray paint that was considered very institutional.

Raven smiled to herself. That felt right. Her pen swept over the flat white surface again, beginning to fill it up.
One of the most intriguing things to Rae had always been those 'round the back' type places, she found herself pondering what went on there more often then not, usually during a particularly boring class.
Rae found school mostly pointless, but for a music theory class called 'Harmony', which took musical composition to its roots and explained the fundamentals in mathematical terms. The class was full of musicians, mainly talking about music.
The class was mainly guys, there was a gifted piano player named Sam, Randy, he was chinese and had long black hair. Randy always wore a satin jacket emblazoned with the Aerosmith logo, and was of the opinion that Keith Richards and Pete Townsend sucked and Eddie Van Halen was god, to name a few of her classmates. This class was always interesting to her, and a good outlet for a musician. Then there was a thin guy with darkish skin and a black cloud of longish curly hair who always had on jeans, vans and a t-shirt. Everyone referred to him as Slash, though she refused to believe it was his real name. His fashion choices definitely contrasted with the trends at the time.
Other teenagers wore colourful spandex, and feathered hair was all too common for either gender. Fifteen year old girls began to cake their faces in makeup and dress like twenty year olds.

Raven's eyes skimmed the paper, going back over the words. Her pen dipped to the paper once more, black tendrils of letters beginning to form a story.
Rae couldn't help but find 'Slash' intriguing, and even attractive in a way.

Raven thought about what to write next. She subconciously chewed the end of her pen.
Rae was in social studies class one day. The teacher was rambling on, as usual, and as usual the whole class was bored to tears. One kid up the front seemed to be paying attention, but all across the classroom people were nodding off, twirling their hair between their fingers and sketching random shapes and figures in the corners of their pages. Rae chewed the end of her pen absent mindedly, eyes glazed over, Slash was fast asleep in the row in front. Rae smirked to herself. The teacher started going on about stereotypes.

She yawned, then the teacher approached Slash's desk.
"For example; judging by this young man's long hair, and the fact he's asleep, he's probably a rock musician who has no greater aspirations in life than playing very loud music." At this, he proceeded to poke at Slash to wake him up. Slash lifted his head from the desk, rubbing his eyes and blinking at the teacher dazedly.
"So i take it you're probably a musician, right? He asked Slash. "What do you play?"
"I play guitar." Slash responded tiredly.
"What kind of music do you play?" The teacher asked,
"Rock and roll, i guess."
"Is it loud?"
"Yeah, it's pretty loud."
"Notice, class, this young man is the perfect example of a stereotype." He concluded.
Slash got up, shoulders tense, and walked to the front of the class. Rae didn't think anyone expected what came next- Slash flipped his desk over and left, leaving a shocked and embarrassed teacher to clean up the papers and pencils sprawled over the floor.

Raven grinned at her page, mind consumed by her story. She began a new page.
Slash acted out often, and he loved guitar and his BMX bike. Rae first found out about his liking for bikes while riding her own BMX down to a local skatepark. She was on the concrete ramp, going fast, riding to one side and launching into the air, landing squarely, and then riding to the other side.

A wind picked up outside her window, and swept through her hair. She glanced up. The window was closed. Raven's eyes widened.

The gusty wind wasn't coming from the window, but from below. She looked down at her writing, the letters glowing hot and bright like the sun on a clear day. They shone out at her, Raven stared in disbelief. She began to feel as if she was floating, and her bedroom disappeared into white nothingness. She felt like she was spinning round and round, then felt a bike seat beneath her, something strapped onto her head, she felt as though she was in motion.

She felt dizzy and nauseous, her head panged with every heartbeat, and for a second everything went black. There was a sensation as if she was falling, and next she knew she was on the ground. A red BMX bike lay next to her and above her hovered a white face with alot of bouncy blonde hair.

Who was he? Where was she? Raven blinked slowly and looked around, groaning. It was a skate park, exactly like the one she had been writing about. She blearily looked up into the bright blue eyes of none other than a young Steven Adler. He smiled reassuringly.

"Are you alright?" Noises seemed to echo in her head, Raven sat up slowly.

"Looks like you took a knock to the head." Another voice called to her. She looked around. Slash stood beside Steven, holding her red BMX up. Raven couldn't remember how she got here. She frowned and rubbed her sore head. Something warm trickled down her face. Her nose was bleeding. She blinked up at Slash.

"Hey you're that singer from the music class!" Slash smirked. "I'm Saul, but everyone calls me Slash, and i like it better that way." He held out a hand to her, which she took.

"Ugh... thanks!"

How on Earth could this have happened?