Chapter 3: Jack Frost

After the meeting, it was concluded that all would gather at night while Bunny with two Yetis would go to kidnap their latest members. Thanatos was the first to leave once dismissed, quickly going back to her job.

Around noon, she found herself in Burgess, Pennsylvania, escorting a new soul. This one was a child, no older than 6 and her heart ached when she witnessed his death. Covered by the hood again, she was thankful for it hiding her face.

Unlike what many had her for, she didn't like the job and she didn't hate children. The opposite, she adored them, but she had a job to do and rules to follow; no matter how much it pained her. She didn't mind taking the souls of elderly people, but children were always the hardest part.

The child with small steady steps followed the cloaked figure across the room of a house. Thanatos was careful, taking small steps while holding the child's hand gently. Once it witnessed the pregnant mother in a bathtub, he clung on her hand tighter.

The woman was soon to give birth in a more old-fashioned way, two wet nurses by her side talking and encouraging her. The child was not sure what was going on or why the woman was in the bathtub while wearing a loose white dress.

"I am scared," he said, trying to be closer to the figure.

Thanatos knelt by the kid's height and let the hood move slightly back, allowing her face and a batch of her white hair to be seen. Her red eyes stared into the green ones of the child and she gave it a smile.

"It is okay to be scared. Everyone is" she pushed a strand of black hair out of his face. "This woman is as well" the child turned and looked at the ready-to-be-mother who was trying hard to keep herself calm but was failing. The Reaper placed her hands on the kid's shoulders. "However, with your help, she won't be anymore and neither will you"

The child's lips parted slightly, observing as the woman gripped the bathtub and closed her eyes. A single tear escaped her left eye. It seemed to awaken something in the child which slowly walked towards her.

As he approached, his sole body started to glow before being turned into a ball of light. It floated above the woman who started to grip the bathtub tighter while the nursemaids were telling her to push.

The light descended into the blown belly, taking its place in the body of the child that was inside and soon to be welcomed in the world. Thanatos smiled and quickly became one with the shadows, having no need to see the birth.

She appeared next to a tree, at the outskirts of the small forest around the town. She had some time to spare and decided to take a walk inside. Unlike popular opinions, alive things didn't die by her touch...her right touch and she found some peace observing them thriving.

After all, she was the Guardian of Life even though no one would ever suspect it. To all, she just took lives but in return, she simply guided them to the next. Keeping the souls alive, giving them a new purpose and small guidance as they took a new body.

Because of her, no soul was ever alone of what would come next or left roaming the world without a purpose or memory. Because of her, those who had died unfairly were given a second chance and those who had done bad things had the ability to change and become better.

Unfortunately, they didn't remember once they were reborn, but some kept it subconsciously and indeed changed while others continued the same path. The laughter of kids grabbed her attention and she turned her body, looking at the direction it came from.

A small group of kids which she knew all by name were having a snowball fight. To her surprise, Jack Frost was also participating. She had witnessed him causing havoc or creating unusual weather but not playing.