Chapter 12: One Last Fight

Pitch and Thanatos glared at each other, the tension growing thicker as the strength and power radiated from them. With her eyes she challenged him to take a step forward and face her fury despite the odds not being in her favour.

"Jack, I'm scared," Jamie said, unsure of what would happen next.

Jack crouched in front of Jamie, remembering his sister saying the same thing. "I- I know, I know, but you're gonna be alright. We're gonna have a little fun instead. That's it - that's my centre!"

Jack felt excited, finally understanding what North meant all along. The reason why he was chosen to help the Guardians. There was only one thing that could fight fear and he was the master of it.

"So what do you think, Jamie? Do you believe in the Boogey-- AH!" Pitch never finished his speech a snowball hit him straight on the face.

A burst of small laughter escaped everyone's lips even Thanatos, even though was a small sound of gigging. She looked behind her at Jack who smiled at her with pride. She gave a nod with her head and turned to Pitch who had wiped his face and was glaring at them.

"Now let's go get your friends," Jack said to Jamie.

Thanatos lifted her scythe and slammed the sharp tip on the ground. A powerful shockwave of dark magic and shadows was released and attacked straight away a certain patch of nightmares by Pitch's right.

Some nightmares quickly dissolved into sand while the others moved to the side in fright. This gave an opening as the sudden open path was covered by a thin layer of ice.

On that path of ice, the Guardians with Jamie used trash can caps and other thrown material as a sleigh and they quickly made their way out of there with Jack leading and creating the path.

Pitch glared at them and was about to follow them when someone cleared their throat. He turned his attention on the woman and decided to deal with the others later. He gave the order and his nightmares attacked.

She braced herself and held her loyal friend tighter, red eyes showing nothing but pure determination and an old score they had to set.

‐-------------------------------------------------------

At the same time, Jack was gathering Jamie's friends. Now that he had found his centre, he could make the kids believe in him. A special snowball on their face was all it took to make them see him and the rest of the guardians.

Quickly, they joined on their own sleigh or objects and everyone laughed at the ride. He smiled but then saw the sky above them.

The clouds covered the starry sky, giving it a dark and scary vibe as if some big disaster was coming their way. A faint sense of power could be sensed as the Mistress of Death fought the monster of the Shadows.

He was worried about Thanatos, wanting nothing more than to join her in the battle. However, Jamie had priority and his mission as well.

Perhaps he could help her otherwise, with the help of the kids. He wasn't sure how, but he followed his instinct.

Suddenly, a strong wind blew towards them and they call came to a halt, hands lifted to protect their eyes from the sand.

Two figures were seem to be tossed at opposite sides, descending fast towards the earth. The one in front of them flipped last moment, covered cloaked legs digging into the cement of the road to slow down the momentum.

Hood down, Thanatos managed to come to a halt close to her friends. She painted slightly and pushed some white strands out of her half skeleton face.

"Thanatos!" Jack called her name and rushed to her side.

"I am alright. He can't get rid of me that easily"

Laughter reached them and looking forward, they saw Pitch crawling from a small crater.

He stood up and cleaned his dark robes, a grin of satisfaction on his pale face. "I will give it to you Thanatos. You do know how to have fun"

He rubbed his left jaw where her last attack, a punch had landed and had sent him flying off trajectory.

The army of Nightmares formed behind him and marched towards them. They all stood behind Pitch who kept his smirk on his face. "You think a few children can help you? Against this?" he asked and motioned for his grand army.

North tried to hold up his sword, but he was too weak and couldn't, earning a worried look from Jamie.

"They're just bad dreams, Jamie" Jack told him.

"And we'll protect you, mate"

"Oh, you'll protect them. *Laughs* But who will protect you?"

Thanatos glared at him and took a step forward only for Jack to grab her arm and hold her back.

She looked at him, the duo mentally fighting who would be the one to protect the others.

"Let me go. I have higher chances than you" she said but his grip didn't change.

"I won't let you fight him. You already got hurt enough"

Her red eyes softened, seeing the care in his blue hues and hearing the desperation in his voice.

He cared about her, he wanted to protect her and keep her safe even if it meant he would sacrifice his life.

The small moment of confessions was interrupted by Pitch who made a throwing up sound.

"If you two are done. We have a battle to finish"

The duo looked at him, fingers interlocked. They would fight together even though there chances were slim.

Jamie watched and then looked around him. None of the Guardians were in the shape to fight such army but they were all ready to give everyrhing they had for him and his friends.

He then looked at the duo, their inter locked hands and understanding that even them could do that much.

He had to do something or perhaps he would lose everything he suddenly obtained.

Without thinking twice, he rushed towards the two guardians.

"I will protect you" he said and stood in front of the duo.

His friends quickly joined, forming a sort of wall in front of their childhood heroes. Thanks to Jack's power, they could see Thanatos and from the fight she had before, they already favoured her.

Pitch seemed displeased with how everything turned out. He lifted his hands and sent the wave towards them.

"Do you believe in the boogeyman?!" He asked out loud.

Jamie took a deep breath. "I believe in you. I am just not afraid of you"

With those words, he extended his hand and closed his eyes...awaiting the impact