Chapter 4: Arguments & Tooth Palaces

The Yetis all lit poi sticks while some elves play a jubilant song on trumpets and drums. Two baby teeth bring Jack a snowflake necklace made of paper while he starts to freak out. North only laughs as the festivities continue.

The elves march around while the Yetis walk closer to Jack and then go behind him before propping him up on his stop in the middle of the Guardian symbol. Poor Jack is hella confused when two elves want him to put on a pair of shoes.

He looks around him for help. North is still delighted while the Yetis hold a fancy book. Tooth and her baby teeth fairies chatter. Sandy toasts to Jack, Bunny rolls his eyes while Thanatos was just looking but could see that she hated the noise and all the chaos since she had pulled herself slightly away.

Having enough of this, Jack lifts his staff and then slammed it down, freezing all of the performers and shocking 4 out of the 5 guardians.

"What makes you think I wanna be a Guardian?" he asked.

North laughed loudly while Bunny laughed nervously, before becoming serious. Then, Santa Clause took the stage.

"Of course you do. Music!" he said and snapped his fingers.

The elves start to play the song again, now unfrozen.

"No music!" Jack shouted and the music quickly died. An Elf with trumpet used the trumpet to smack his comrade with the sousaphone. "This is all very flattering, but, uh... You don't want me. You're all hard work and deadlines. And I'm... snowballs and fun times. I'm not a Guardian"

"Hah! That's exactly what I said!" Bunny said and Thanatos rolled her eyes.

"Jack, I don't think you understand what it is we do," Tooth said and indicated for the Giant Globe with lights coming from literally every spot of the planet. "Each of those lights is a child-"

"A child who believes. And good or bad, Naughty or Nice, we protect them" North continued.

"Except for lady Death over there" Bunny hissed, glaring at the white-haired girl who ignored him.

Jack looked confused at the interaction but was forced to look away when Tooth attacked his mouth again. "Ah- ah-"

"Tooth fingers out of the mouth" North told her.

"Oh, sorry! *releases Jack* Heh, they're beautiful!"

"Okay, no more wishy-washy, Pitch is out there doing who knows what!" he said in a serious tone and turned to look at Jack.

"You mean th-the Boogey Man?"

"Yes! When Pitch threatens us, he threatens them as well!"

"All the more reason to pick someone more qualified!"

"Pick? Do you think we pick?! No! You were chosen! Like we were all chosen! By Man in Moon," Santa said and pointed at the full moon above them.

"What?"

"Last night, Jack. He chose you" Tooth informed him.

"Maybe" Bunny commented.

"Man in the Moon, he, uh... he talks to you?"

"You see, you cannot say no. It is Destiny" North tells him.

"W-Why, why wouldn't he tell me that himself? *Groans* After 300 years, this is his answer? To spend eternity like you guys, cooped up in some- some hideout, thinking of- of new ways to bribe kids? No, no, that's not for me! No offence"

Bunny took a few steps forward. "How- how- How is that not offensive? You know what I think, I- I think we just dodged a bullet. I mean what's this clown know about bringing joy to children anyway?"