Chapter 31// New Things and Apologies

Matthew is bold. Chloe is regular text. Everyone else is italics.

Matthew's POV

Hi, this is Chloe. I can't come to the phone right now. I'm either busy or don't want to talk right now. Leave a voicemail if you wish. I hang up the phone. Ugh. She's not answering. I've been calling and calling and she still hasn't answered. I toss my phone on the bed and I run my hands through my hair. God, I don't know what to do. Emma hasn't texted me either. She's probably mad. I mean I guess I would too. I just don't know what to do. I messed everything up.

I hear the door open. I quickly look and It's Emma opening the door. I quickly stand up as she walks over to the bed and places her bag down and takes her jacket off. She doesn't even acknowledge me. "Emma." She ignores me as she takes her jewelry and high heels off. Her back is towards me. "Say something please." She stops what she is doing and turns around. She looks upset but irritated at the same time. 

"What do you want me to say, Matthew? You want me to say that everything will be fine? You want me to say that you didn't hurt Chloe's feelings? You want me to say what you said to me didn't hurt me? Huh? Well, guess what? I can't because I can't lie to my brother. My own fucking brother. I can't express how upset and hurt I am with you?" She stands up.

I look down. Fuck."Never in my entire life have I ever felt like this before. I have never felt so betrayed by my own brother. My fucking blood Matthew! And it's not just the stuff with Chloe it's what you said to me, Matthew." She points to herself. I was about to say something but she cuts me off. "No Matthew." She holds her hands up. "Don't just please don't." She looks like she's about to break so I walk up to her and grab her hands.

"Look I'm sorry. Okay. I'm sorry for what I said." She shakes her head as she pulls away.

"Do you really think apologizing actually helps? It doesn't Matthew. Because you know what? No matter how many times you apologize it will still be there because once you say it you can never take it back. Ever!"

"I know and I really am sorry I just don't believe that Vivian is trying to make Chloe jealous and that's she's trying to ruin our friendship." Her nose flares out. Fuck. I shouldn't have said that. Stupid Matthew. Stupid.

"I don't understand you, Matthew. I don't. I mean one minute you like Chloe and you're jealous when she's around other guys. Then another minute you act like you don't like Chloe and you're defending Vivian. I just don't get it. You have had feelings for Chloe for months and now that you got the chance you blow it off. I just don't understand and it's not fair to her that you're leading her on."

I hold my hands up in defense. "Hey! I'm not leading her on."

"Yes, you are. You literally kissed her and then you start ignoring her and then you show up random, like come on. You're leading her on. It's not fair because she likes you too and all you're doing is treating her wrong." I try to say something but she holds her hand up. "No Matthew. Don't say anything further. I'm done with your bullshit. Just let me be right now. I'm about to take a bath don't bother me, please. I need to sort stuff out."

With that, she stands up grabs her bag, phone, and earbuds, and goes into the bathroom. Slamming the door. I plop on my bed. Fuck. I didn't realize what I said had affected my sister. I mean she always seems like the type to not care what people say. She usually doesn't get hurt by things like that. But I mean technically it's different. I'm her family. Her own blood and I said it when I know I shouldn't have.

 I hate that I'm the one who hurt her. God, I feel like such an asshole. I have to make things right. I just have to. But how?

~~~