Home

I walk with a skip in my step along the dirt path that lead from my house to Charlie's, a basket full of scones, jam, and other various pastries (homemade of course) hangs on my arm.

Mr. and Mrs. Sloan are on vacation in Charlottetown for the weekend, and Charlie and I have a date - A picnic.

As I make my way to my wonderful boyfriend, I glance worriedly at the sky which was heavy with what seems to be incoming rain. I, however, do not let the thick air bring down my excitement to see Charlie. I continue to think about our date for the remainder of my walk.

When I get to the Sloan household, I raise my hand to knock on the door, but they never meet as Charlie threw it open before I got the chance. He gazes at me with a warm smile and steps out of the doorframe to let me into his home.

"Hello, my sunflower." He rests his hand on my hip and pulls me in to kiss my temple.

I am so glad he's more comfortable with me. The beginning of our relationship was full of awkward motions and cautious looks.

"Good morning, darling. I've brought scones, and raspberry tarts, and lemon squares, and jam, and snickerdoodles, and-" He cuts me off with a light chuckle. "And what is so funny Charlie Sloan?" I ask pointedly and place my hands on my hips.

"Nothing it's just- ever the sweet tooth huh y/n?" He asked after composing himself. I roll my eyes and playfully scowl at him.

"Whatever. Have you got the blanket?" I set my basket on the table.

"Of course I do. Just let me go get it." He says leaving for the living room. While he's gone, I go out to the shady spot where I know bottles of milk and re-purposed milk bottles with water in them would be, and grab a few for us. As I bend over to grab another bottle, I feel something cold fall on my scalp. When I come back up, a considerable amount of large water drops have already fallen on my person. As I speed-walk back into the house, the rain picks up, and the sky is completely dark - no longer a drizzle, but a storm.

I enter the house and immediately look towards a disappointed Charlie. We look at each other with the same thought - stupid rain.

"We can still have our date." I try to make the situation better, but the look he gives me clearly prompts an explanation. "We'll just eat in here." I smile brightly as I refuse to allow the situation to damper my spirit.

Charlie gives a light laugh, and grabs my hand leading me to the front room. He lays out the blanket right in the middle and helps me set out our treats.
As we eat, we laugh at his horrible jokes, and entertain each other with stories from our childhoods.

A storm rages around us, but we are in our own bubble- our own universe. It's just him and me and I wouldn't have it any other way. I don't have to worry about anyone but myself and Charlie. He cares for only me and I him. I don't even have to worry about my parents for tonight, they know I'm safe with Charlie.
After a while, he tells me to wait right there. I comply and start to put away our dishes into the basket, and I pull my hair down from it's braid.

Footsteps make me look up, to see Charlie walking in with candle sticks, a bottle of wine, and two glasses. I watch as he places everything on the blanket and lights the candles. He then pours us each a glass of wine.
"M'lady." He says fancily, looking at me while pouring mine, but-

"Charlie the wine!" I exclaim as it comes near to overflowing. He fumbles with the bottle but eventually stabilizes himself. We look at each other and burst into fits of giggles. After we compose ourselves, he looks into my eyes with content, but with something else that I can't determine.

"I love you." He says so softly I thought I imagined it. My smile somehow grew even bigger.

"Oh, Charlie" I throw myself at him, but not before making sure the candles are not in the way, wrapping my arms around his neck as his go around my waist. "I love you too." My words come out muffled in his chest, and he visibly lets out a breath of relief. I look up to him and lean forward. He meets me in the middle and our lips touch for a magical moment that is gone far too soon. When we kiss, I feel safe- at home. Charlie Sloan is my home.