Chapter 7

Let's have a chapter in honour of 1k reads. ❤️ Slowly but surely, thanks for the reads, votes and comments.

Chapter 7
Salim's POV

I don't know why I agreed with Labiba's stupid deal but I did and it scares the shit out of me but I wouldn't let her know that. Labiba herself is not sure her idea is going to work so that's an advantage to me.

It has been two months since we all sold the lie to our parents about being okay with the marriage and between that time, I've only seen Labiba twice. I honestly don't mind because she was always throwing tantrums and giving me dirty looks, there's only so much I can handle. Our parents on the other hand have set the date in the upcoming month which makes it exactly seven and a half months since Falila's death and they're all getting ready with preparations. Both Labiba and I told them that we don't want any wedding events, rather a simple wedding Fatiha and they obliged.

I think back to Falila, she's always on my mind these days. A part of me dread that I'm moving on, with her sister for that matter. I also dread the fact that some part of me wants this thing with Labiba to work because it's an insult to Falila's memory if we get married just to break it off like that. I told Labiba I would fight her on this and I intend to do it.

God knows even if Labiba doesn't fall in love with me within those six months, I'd find a reason to make her stay because I don't plan on ruining her life in the case that she'll go back home and be tagged by our society as bazawara or some other demeaning term. I also don't plan on giving Laila a family just to break it off after six months. And of course, I wouldn't disappoint our parents.

After Asr, I make my way to Asokoro because mummy called Labiba by herself and told her to get ready, because I'm taking her shopping. I don't know how well that's going to fare because I haven't spoken to her in two weeks, giving her space. I only make Walid drop off Laila with her when it's necessary but these days, I just keep Laila at home with me.

Mummy calls me upon my arrival at the house and I shake my head before picking "Ka isa?" She asks and I sigh.

"Yes."

"Yawwa, take her to choose her cosmetics by herself and other essentials. Yar zamani ce, ba komai ne mu zamu saka mata a lefe ba. Gwara ta zabi abun da ta san zata yi amfani dashi."

"Toh."

"Ban ji kana amsa min kamar kana yi bane." Ya Salam. Mummy wasn't half as involved in my affairs when I was getting married to Falila. What's all this?

"Naji, mummy." I answer her and say my goodbyes before dialling Labiba's number.

"Ka shigo inji Abba." Labiba says as soon as she picks up and hangs up immediately‍. What the hell have I gotten myself into?

I step out of my car and make my way towards the house, I say my Salam and meet Abba sitting in the living room. We exchange pleasantries and I sit down on the carpet as I wait for him to finish watching the documentary session he is watching.

"I'm sorry, I couldn't find a better timing to do this and I know you're in haste." Abba starts. "You must be wondering why Labiba is a bit different from Falila and Salma."

I chuckle slightly at that and he laughs too, though I can hear the bitterness in his laughter. Something big happened, clearly.

"Labiba was taken away by her mum when she was 6 and she wasn't returned home until after 7 years when she was 13." He starts. Now that's news. Is this what Farouq was scared to say because Abba doesn't want people talking about it? "Akwai ranar da sunje school, kafin naje na dauko su saboda suna lesson, ina zuwa naga Falila da Salma. Na tambaye su ina Labiba? Sai suka bani letter. I still have it here with me." He gives me a piece of paper that looks old and worn out and I open it slowly and start reading to myself.