Chapter 9

Chapter 9
Salim's POV

They arrive at our family house at exactly 7:48pm but I don't make a move to go out or anything.

I'm having mixed feelings about this. The way Abba and Daddy talked about this marriage earlier got me into thinking and I'm dead nervous about it. How could I have listened to Labiba and agreed with her? Was I that desperate to get married to her?

With the way I'm feeling about Labiba right now, I don't really like her and I don't think I want to see her. Every effort towards her ends up backfiring and hitting me back in the face, it's not even a day into this and I feel like I'm already tired.

Apart from that, I'm still unable to take Falila out of mind ever since I left Abba's house in the evening. My mind keeps travelling back to our memories and the time we had together. Falila was not perfect, she was far from it because she was the kind of person that'd rather hold a grudge than talk things out. She probably thought that was for the best because she was kind but I didn't like that about her, because I was worried I would end up not fulfilling her rights sometimes.

Now that I think about it, I realise I didn't know what I was wishing for at the time. Because Labiba is the most outspoken person I've ever met, her attitude is extreme to an extent but I still think I'd rather know what someone is feeling so that I'll know what I'm up against.

Falila was a nearly perfect wife, she did all the things expected of her as a wife, sometimes even more than I'm expecting and a lot of times, I'd have to tell her to just stop. She spent half of her time in the kitchen because she was also passionate about cooking and the rest of the time juggling between taking care of the family, her job and a little time for herself. With my demanding job too, I didn't mind because at the end of the day after much stress, I knew I had a peaceful home to get back to and a loving wife who smiled at everything. Now I'm here full of regret and guilt for not spending a lot of time with her.

I wonder if it's going to be half as good with Labiba, but I know I'm kidding myself for even thinking that way.

I grab my phone from the nightstand when I hear the sound of cars leaving and I realise people are starting to leave, it's almost 9pm and I'm tired out of my mind also. I need to go and say goodbye to Laila and Mummy before I end up falling asleep.

I stand up, step into the shower and go through my routine with ease but my mind full of thoughts. I was told earlier that Labiba would stay in the guest room inside the house tonight and tomorrow evening, she'll be taken to our new house. Right now, with the whole newfound guilt I'm feeling about Falila, I find it hard to feel anything about that.

I blame Labiba for whatever is happening in my mind. I was perfectly fine with the idea of this marriage, I've had to cut back some thoughts and told myself that what I'm doing is okay but she kept on pushing thoughts into my mind and pushing me away in the process. right now, I'm not sure if I want to fight for Labiba after those six months.

"Yaya." Walid calls out to me from outside the room and I take that as my cue to leave our wing to inside the house altogether. "Ba ko zuwa kayi godiya wa yan kawo Amarya?" He says when I push the door open.

"We'll go with Labiba when we are all settled." I tell him while walking towards the house, passing a few people going out on our way in. "Do me a favour," I turn to look at him. "I remember that Humaira put one of Labiba's boxes in the boot of my car dazu da rana, please ka dauko ka bayar a kai mata dakin da take."

Walid looks like he wants to protest but he shrugs and nods anyway, leaving me alone. For some reason, I'm upset with him that Labiba thought to call him immediately after she called me and I didn't pick. I didn't pick up her call intentionally yesterday but I was so mad that she immediately ran to my little brother for help, knowing full well that Walid has been smitten with her since from the first day he set her eyes on her.