Chapter 8

Hello, EidKum Mubarak.

تقبّل الله منّا و منكم

Chapter 8
Labiba's POV

It seems like I've finally managed to piss Salim off because the last I've seen of him was the day we went to Sahad together and we had a spat that night. It's fine with me.

What's not sitting well with me is the fact that by this time tomorrow, I'll be his halal bride. There are only a few people in the house because I strictly told Abba to please not invite all those relatives since we're not going to have any event anyway, of course Abba obliged and the only people here are the ones that base here in Abuja.

"Zaki iya wanke lallen yanzu." The henna artist tells me and I smile tightly at her. A lot of people have walked in and out when my henna was being applied, I had a civil conversation with some while I simply welcomed the others.

I walk to the tap outside to avoid staining the bathroom tiles with the black henna but my mind is all out of sorts. I can't think properly and I don't know how I'm supposed to function like this, if this is how I feel right now, how is it going to be for the next six months?

"Ke nifa ban san mijin Falilan zata aura ba." I hear a voice saying and my heart picks up speed. I'm about to go full hulk on a wedding guest, I don't even care anymore. I don't exactly like the fact that I'm marrying Falila's husband either, but I don't need to hear anyone else saying it's not ideal.

"Haka na ji wai shi yace a bashi Labiban."another voice quips in. "Ita kuma bata qi ba, sai dai inaga bai san halin su ba daya ba."

"Zai sha wahala ai kuwa, ni wannan Labiban ma ai ban sa mata ran aure ba da wannan halin nata." Okay that's enough. My whole body feels like I've been on ice for the past few hours but the stupid women talking about me like they know shit just warmed me up and I'm going to give them a piece of me.

I walk around the corner to where they're sitting on plastic chairs and I give them a phony smile as I grab another chair and sit with them. One of them is my second cousin and the other is my first cousin, both from my mum's side of the family and I can't say I'm surprised, there are a lot of awful human beings in that family.

"Let's talk." I say as I shrug at them and they look at each other with guilty looks on their expressions. Both of them are married with kids but they thought it's okay to walk into my father's house and actually gossip about me. "Come on, tell me what else you heard? Idan baku fada min ba, wa zai fada min?" I say sarcastically and I know they've caught on the sarcasm because they're still unable to utter anything.

"Labiba?" I hear Aunty Salma's voice calling me probably because I've stayed longer than I should. They're insisting that I plait my hair but I don't want to, it's already nearly Asr, I still have a lot of things I want to sort.

"Well, I'll tell you what happened." I continue talking to them and Salma finally approaches us. "He wasn't the one that asked for my hand in marriage, I offered to get married to him because let's see," I put my finger on my chin dramatically, I really don't value their opinion so I might as well add fuel to the ongoing fire "It's not Haram in anyway and  ko ma meye ne ba damuwar ku bace. Idan kuma kuna ganin akwai wata damuwa zan iya baku numbern wayar shi, you can call him and tell him all about my characters. Maybe you'll be lucky enough to be able to convince him that I'm not worth his attention." Salma places her hand on my shoulder. "Come to think of it, maybe zaku iya kashe auren ku kuzo aure shi, mye a ciki dan kun auri miji daya? It's not haram."

I stand up and intentionally bang the plastic chair to fall on the opened drink that was between them, making it spill on their clothes before walking away.