Chapter 17

Good Day, don't forget to check out and comment on Shadow of Doubt. It's much more intense and deeper than Labiba, it's a story that shows how a good person can have a dark and dangerous side if not careful. Xoxo

Chapter 17
Labiba's POV

Weeks have passed since we met Tahir in the mart and the bond and friendship between Salim and I has strengthened to the point where it's starting to scare me. I miss him with every fibre of my being when he is not around, I practically jump to tell him what happened during the day with Laila when he wasn't around. He, on the other hand, listens patiently and laugh wholeheartedly at everything I say.

We quarrel a lot too, bicker like an old married couple over the littlest things but it never lasts long. We mostly bicker when he's cooking in the kitchen during the weekends and I keep touching whatever he's using or telling him my methods. We also sit on the same couch, though at the opposite ends with snacks in between us while watching a movie. There's also Salim and his persistent touches and teasing, almost everything he does nowadays set my blood on fire and I hope he doesn't know it.

Today, we both slept in and Salim was late for work. He had to leave without eating and he wasn't upset when he saw that I didn't wake either. He had knocked on my door and when I asked why he didn't wake me, he said he was already late. It was expected, seeing as we were watching a movie till 1am last night. When I woke up for Fajr, I had to go back to bed without any of my azkars.

That's why I decided to cook and take it to his office, I cook his favourite potato porridge and make a fattoush salad on the side.

By the time I'm done getting Laila and I ready, it's almost 9:30am and I put everything in the car and drive down to Salim's office in Central Area. I park the car and pick up Laila in one hand and the basket in the other hand. As it should be, I get questioned by the securities there and when I tell them that I'm Salim's wife, there's a new found respect and a special greeting. A part of me is telling myself that I'm only referring to myself as his wife so I'd gain easier access to the office but a part of me knows that it's not true. It's something deeper than that. It's the same thing that doesn't want me thinking about how many weeks we are into this.

The last security guard at the main entrance leaves his post to take the food basket from me and I thank him. I enter the office and plaster a smile on my face as I pass a lot of people. Some of them look nice, some look surprised, probably because I look like boss's dead wife. Falila was always attending end of the year parties with Salim so I can understand their confusion.

His secretary is one of the dumbfounded ones and he doesn't say anything as I walk straight into Salim's office. The sight I meet isn't exactly a welcoming one, in fact I feel like throwing up but I put a smile on my face. Safiyya is standing behind Salim, bending to point at something in the computer while Salim sits in the chair, his gaze fixed furiously on the computer with his brows furrowed.

They are so occupied with what they're looking at that they don't notice my entrance so I announce my arrival "Um, hi." I grin at them but I'm sure it doesn't reach my eyes.

They both look up as Safiyya stands straight and he stands up too, running his hand through his buzz cut. At some point, he has discarded his suit jacket and I notice it in the coat hanger standing in the corner of the office, his sleeves are rolled up to his elbows and I don't know why the tired look he has going on looks so good to me.

"Labee." He says as the security drops the basket on the centre table and takes his leave. "Toh fa, to what do I owe this pleasure?" I roll my eyes as a smile creeps on his face and Safiyya takes two steps back as he exits his seat and makes his way towards us.