1.1 - Luke

*Two Years Ago - October*

Chloe's POV

Hey Izz, I'm in Berlin. Sorry took so long to send you a message, I got to the hotel late at night and immediately went to sleep. I'm out exploring the city now. Say hi to the girls! Miss you!

I send the text and lock my phone. I walk the streets for a while until I saw a coffee place that looks peaceful enough. I order a coffee and a chocolate cake and then choose a table. I take out my tablet and my notebook, I go through my notes, put some music on a low volume in my earphones and just start writing.

'Hey, you dropped this!' A guy's accent catches my attention. I look up and see a guy with kinda long blond hair handing a scarf to a woman sitting on the table near mine. 

She smiles at him and thanks him before he moves on. I continue observing as he's making his way around the tables. He finally gets near my table. We make eye contact and I can't help but smile at him. He has this welcoming vibe that just automatically makes you smile as if the sun is shining and the sky is clear. 

'Here you go!' He says putting a cup of iced latte on my table. He looks harmless and just doing a genuinely nice gesture but you can't be too sure.

'I'm sorry? First, this is not a pub it's a coffee shop. Second, I don't accept drinks from strangers.'

'Hi. I'm Luke! I'm 29 years old. I'm Australian but lived in Berlin for the last 2 years. I'm single, live alone with a cat. I work in a recording studio, I'm a sound engineer. I have 2 best friends. I like travelling around the world. There. Not a stranger anymore. If it helps, I could take a sip of this to prove that I haven't tampered with it!' He chuckles.

I look at him pleasantly shocked. I take the drink from him and take a sip of it. Seems ordinary. 

'Thank you. Whatever you're expecting in return, I'm warning you, the answer is probably no.'

'I'm not expecting anything. I just saw you, you seem sleepy and yet too focused on your tablet. Then I noticed you ran out of coffee. So I asked the barista if she remembers what drink you ordered and she did! So I got you a refill. That's all there is to the story.'

'So you don't even want to sit, have a chat. Ask for my number? Anything?'

'I mean, I already interrupted you long enough. Whatever you were doing on your tablet seemed important. And I'm sorry. But if you're inviting, I can't exactly say no to a beautiful lady.'

'Pleasantries won't get you anywhere. But coffee did. Sit down. If you want.'

'Thank you! You're not from around here! You have a very peculiar accent. Sounds almost British.'

'I lived in London for a few years. But born and raised in Paris.'

'Fascinating! What brings you to Berlin?'

'Just a pit stop. I'm going around Europe.'

'Why? Running away from something?' He laughs.

'Was for a while last year. But then repurposed my trip. Running away isn't really gonna get me anywhere. But travelling for self-healing purposes and inspiration for my next book is more useful.'

'I'm so sorry. I was making a joke, but I guess you really never know what someone is going through. Sorry for being insensitive!'

'Hey, it's okay. I'm doing better now. I'm... I'm working on it.'