6.3 - Troubadour

Niall's POV

'Is she here yet? Do you think she's not coming?' I ask Julia.

'Relax, deep breaths. Just focus on your show!'

'Yeah Alright. Can you check if she here though, please!'

'Fine. But you have got to relax! Where is she gonna be?'

'Front seat on the balcony right in front of the stage.'

'Oh okay, so a few seats to my left. Cool. I'll keep an eye out and text you when I see her.'

'Thanks, Julia!'

'Have a good show!' She smiles and kisses my cheek.

I hug her before she leaves. I check my clock again. The show is starting in about 10 minutes. I go find my band and make sure they're ready. But I keep checking my phone waiting for that text from Julia.

'Okay. She just got here. We said hi and hugged and everything.'

'Is she mad?' I text back.

'Well not at me, I'm nice. You, on the other hand, dragged her here unknowingly, using her best friend against her.'

'Yeah, alright. I'll deal with that later. As long as she's there.'

I put on my in-ear, take a look at the crowd and then take a deep breath before going on stage. I follow my routine as planned and quickly kick in the first song of the album. I keep glancing to where she's sitting. She's avoiding looking straight at me but she looks like she's enjoying herself and that's enough for me. The only time she actually looks at me is during "Breathe" and throughout the whole song, I maintain eye contact, and for a while there I even forget that I'm in the middle of a concert with about 500 fans looking at me.

The whole show lasts about an hour, and shortly after I'm done, everyone I invited joins me backstage. I see her with Izz and Julia chatting in the corner. I excuse myself from the group I'm in, set down the pint of beer on the first table I come across and make my way through the room to where they're standing. Julia sees me coming and drag Izz away, leaving me alone with Clo.

'You didn't have to do all this.' She scolds as soon as I'm within an earshot.

'Do what?'

'Go through Izz to get me to come here? Drag me to the show without me being aware of where we're going or why. If you had invited me personally I would've come.'

'Well, can you blame me if I thought that if I had done that you wouldn't have shown up?'

She sighs and looks away for a moment. 'Okay. That's fair. But stop pulling shit like that. You want me somewhere, you ask me directly. I decide to not show up? I'll tell you and you'll have to deal with it. You can't force me to do something I don't want to. And you know how much I love your music. You should know that I'd put our differences apart if it means I get to see you perform the songs on your new album, with a full live band, for the first time, and on top of it all, at a small secret show in one of the most iconic clubs in the area!'

'Alright. I'm sorry. I should've been more courageous and asked you directly. Oh, wait. I would've done that if I could've. But I still have no way of reaching you. No phone number, and I can't send you messages on any of your social media.'