Bad News

[Rayne]

It was the most blissful morning that I'd had in a long time. One would think I'd just gotten married or something. I woke up humming some cheesy love song and danced across the floor all the way to the bathroom.

Of course, this was only after I stared at Dean's sleeping form next to me for about five minutes like a total creep. I refrained myself from tracing his full, slightly pouting in his sleep, lips as I thought over our date. The previous night was just about as magical as a hunter's night could get without the supernatural being involved.

No talk of monsters or potential cases, no sad topic conversations of past failings, no awkward silences; it was nearly perfect. However, I knew better than to think that I would ever get a repeat of that. The fact that Dean took me out at all, and actually put effort and thought into the date, was shocking in itself. I had a feeling that it was a once in a lifetime type of thing.

When I left the bathroom, Sam was still sleeping so I decided to not wake him up and go on my jog by myself. He came in late after our date; I suspected that he didn't want to risk walking in on anything again. Or maybe Dean told him to stay away because he thought he was going to get lucky. Although I don't think that was the case. We very chastely watched an old movie on the TV when we got back and Dean didn't even push for anything more than a goodnight kiss.

In some weird way I think he knew that I wasn't ready for that and he surprisingly seemed to respect my unspoken wishes. The man was defying my expectations at every turn lately. Besides, I didn't really want my first time to be in a dirty motel room. You couldn't exactly blame a girl, could you?

Growing up with limited interactions with the opposite sex had turned me into kind of a 'prude', as the kids called it, and the thought of being with the experienced and 'well-traveled' Dean made me somewhat want to throw up in my mouth with nervousness. Just a little bit. Maybe a lot. And although I may have been a novice in the love department, even I knew that barf was no way to set the mood. 

Arriving back at the motel after my run, I was reaching for the door handle when all of a sudden it opened up by itself to reveal Dean on the other side. "Oh, Rayne, good," he said. "I was just about to call you. Want to come get breakfast with me?" 

"Right now?" I asked. I was still frozen in my spot, somewhat taken aback by Dean's uncharacteristic urgency. "I just came back from a jog, I'm kind of..."

He smirked, giving me a sly once-over. "Sweaty?" 

"No, I don't sweat. I sparkle."

"Okay, then, my sparkling little Cherry Pie," he chuckled. "Come with me anyways."

I shrugged in defeat. "Well, all right, if you insist."

We drove to a nearby diner where an overly eager waitress directed us to a small table at the back of the establishment. Dean ordered us each a cup of coffee and I watched with curiosity as he nervously tapped his foot against the leg of the chair, his eyes shifting between the other customers swiftly.

"Okay, so what gives?" I asked. "Did you like, accidentally kill Sam back at the motel and don't want me to find his body, or something?"

Dean stopped his fidgeting to give me a confused look. "What?"

"I just mean that you seem anxious...worried."

His eyes resumed their dance around the diner. "Do I?"

"Yeah, you do. You're acting weird."

"Oh, sorry," he mumbled.

Just then our coffees arrived and Dean spent the next five minutes asking the waitress about every single item on the breakfast menu before settling down on the special with a side of bacon.