The Girl Who Cried Wolf

[Dean]

My brain refused to process what I was seeing. Without any warning, Rayne had slit her own wrist right in front of us. Once again, my dad reacted faster than me and caught Rayne in his arms right before she could hit the ground.

"Grab a rag or something," he growled at me, his words taking on the tone of controlled worry — something Sam and I had grown more than accustomed to hearing from him over the years. His head snapped up when I didn't move and his brows lowered. "Dean. Rag. Now. Or she's going to bleed to death."

That snapped me out of whatever stupor I was in, and I rushed to grab my spare hoodie that I had lying in the back seat. When I came back around, Rayne was as pale as a damn ginger kid in the winter time. Her eyes shifted about lazily...incoherently. She was already losing too much blood too fast.

John snagged the hoodie from my frozen fingers and wrapped it tightly around her wrist. Not even caring that she was practically unconscious, I was itching to grab her by the collar of her shirt and demand to know what the hell she was thinking, but the swoosh of wings came from behind me before I could make a single move.

My dad looked up to stare at what I could only guess was one of the Charlie's angels. To my surprise, when I turned to look, there was not one, but two of them. Castiel and Daniel.

Not wasting precious time on words or explanations, they each pushed John and me aside and focused their nearly identical steely gazes on the bleeding-out girl. Daniel was kneeling down on the balls of his feet with Rayne's back resting against the inside of his thigh and Castiel already had the tips of his middle and index fingers pressed to her forehead.

Before my very eyes, the slash on her wrist closed up, leaving nothing but smooth skin in its place — not so much as a faint scar remained as a token of her idiocy. Castiel didn't seem to care about cleaning up the left-over blood, so despite there not being any more open wounds in her, Rayne still looked like she had just fought with a grizzly bear and lost.

The glossiness left her eyes and she blinked a few times before sitting up on her own. Castiel and Daniel hovered close by just in case but gave the girl her space. She looked at the both of them with a measured stare before snappily saying, "Good. You're here."

John looked down at the bloodstained sweatshirt in his hands, then at Rayne, and then at the two angels who had just healed her. "What the hell just happened?"

Castiel gave him the briefest of glances before training his cold, blue eyes on the girl before him. "Rayne thought she was being clever."

"Okay, I'm confused," I muttered as I scratched the back of my head. Now that Rayne's life was no longer in mortal danger, my heart rate was starting to return to normal, but my brain was still slow to respond.

"You know, I was actually beginning to worry," Rayne said coolly as she stood up, ignoring Daniel's outreached hand, and wiped her bloody arm on her jeans. "I thought maybe you exaggerated just how important I was to God and to His mighty plans for me. For a second there, I was actually worried I would end up dying in the parking lot behind a tattoo parlor."

Castiel watched Rayne with mild frustration, Daniel seemed to be slightly amused, and both John and myself were still hopelessly lost. "Someone mind telling me what the hell that was all about?" I growled, and then looked at Rayne. "Cherry Pie?"

Her eyes met mine and softened slightly. "Sorry, Dean. That wasn't fair to you."

"Cas?" I barked in question, having the feeling for some reason that I was about to be very angry with Rayne.

The angel's chest rose and fell in a release of breath that he probably didn't need to take and then he turned his back on the still ticked off redheaded girl to face John and myself. "Rayne decided to try a new calling technique."