Chapter 1

Papers were rustling. Footsteps were rigidly continuous as they walked back and forth, passing by one another. A scenery that is usually seen inside an office as each person busied themselves in their respective roles. 

However, this is a different case for Z's Research Department.

Everyone had a worried look on their faces, pressing on impatiently on the keyboard of their computers and the sound of the mouse clicking echoed along with it. There were a couple of murmurings mixed along the morbid atmosphere.

Nifa had her eyes straight on the screen. "There's been a major problem."

"What is it?"

"Miss Hange is missing a vital piece for her research."

Gossips would pass by ear. Things like these were a natural thing to lead a group of people. Even Hange is awfully aware of this as she strode down the office with a determined look on her face. At the sight of her, all the murmurings went away abruptly and were soon replaced by silence.

Trailing behind her is an assistant who looked utterly uneasy. "I think we should just—"

The brunette opened the door to her office which halted Moblit mid-sentence.

The place was wide enough for her experiments. Books piling up in each corner. A white long table was in the middle, displaying an unfinished product sprawled out on it.

"Moblit." Hange turned to look at him straight in the eye. "Giving up is never an option. This is a very valuable groundwork. Years have been wasted for this already and I had long ought to myself that I will bring this to fruition."

Her assistant sighed wearily as Hange went to her experiment, trying to check it once again.

"But this is dangerous...and we're currently lacking financially..." That is precisely correct. Even Hange is certainly aware of that fact but she had long pledged to get this kind of profession even at the risk of her life—Surely, Moblit is aware of all these too. "Maybe we can just forfeit. Just this once---"

Moblit was startled when Hange suddenly slammed a hand on the table.

"This is hopeless..." The exasperated look on her face and anger dripping out was enough indication for the man to say nothing more.

This has been going on for a month now. The most famous underground researcher has been trying to find ways to complete her experiment. It is as dangerous as usual however the main problem was that they were lacking financially to purchase the much-needed resources for these.

Honestly, this small department Hange had led for years now is slowly sinking down. They were unable to produce any valuable things nor get profound information where they could profit. Their existence is deemed useless especially now that a neighboring department had come to equal them in the rivalry.

The brunette could only sigh, staring blankly on the surface of the table. "Can you leave me alone for a moment?"

Without further ado, the assistant obeyed without any questions and stepped out of the room.

Finally alone, the brunette removed her glasses in a haste, staring into space. Just in a split second, she began throwing everything she managed to grab by her hand, eyes filled with pent up anger. She kicked the chairs, crumpled useless papers and landed a hard punch on the wall.

An angry Hange Zoe is indeed a rare sight. However, this type of Hange had been showing a lot lately ever since that incident.

"That fucking short-ass!!" She hisses through her teeth, catching her breath in irritation. "How dare he intervene with my work?!"