Chapter 51 - Change

.

Wuxian was not prepared for the change in people's behavior once Wangji returned him to the inn they were staying in at Nightless City. If he thought he was attracting attention before, now he's like a light beacon with a loud siren. People flocked to touch the Divine Oracle and ask for his blessing. He didn't even know what that meant. How can touching him make any difference to people's lives? After wrestling his way into the room, he stood breathless holding his long hair and panting. He looks at an equally breathless Cheng and a calm Wangji and asks: "Have people gone mad? What is happening?"

Jingyi, Sizhui and Wen Ning burst through the door after squeezing through the mass of bodies blocking the way. Jingyi lays on the ground: "I'm not built for this kind of crowd."

Sizhui kneeling to catch his breath: "No one is. That was brutal."

Wen Ning goes next to Wuxian to stare at him in wonder, then touches his hair: "You look so beautiful."

Wuxian smacks his hand away: "Still not a girl!"

Cheng huffs: "Have you seen what you look like now in the mirror?"

Wuxian glares at him then turns to look at the snake when it caresses his cheek: "What?"

He doesn't hear a clear voice in his head but feels it reply. The snake wants him to rest.

Wen Ning looks in wonder at the snake: "Can I touch it."

The snake feels Wuxian's trust and willingly moves to twine around Wen Ning who looks like the luckiest kid in the world.

Wuxian laughs at how happy Wen Ning looks then says: "It's name is Da Ziran. It shares my energy and feels what I feel. So if I trust you, you have nothing to worry about."

The kids rushed in to touch and play with the snake while Zewu Jun appeared via transportation talisman. He looked worried: "How are we supposed to leave tomorrow? This place is about to be run over."

Wuxian sits down on his bed and yawns: "I'm tired, can we figure it out tomorrow?"

Wen Ning returns the snake to him. Ziran settles in his lap and closes its eyes while he pets it.

Wangji looks at Cheng: "We will be heading towards Cloud Recesses tomorrow. Will you assist us in returning Wei Ying before heading back to your sect."

Cheng nods: "Gladly."

Wuxian lays down and tunes them out. The snake slithers on top of him and sleeps as well.

The kids and Wen Ning pick a corner to huddle down and sleep while Zewu Jun joins his brother and Cheng: "Do we know what's the new power the Earth Deity claims to have awakened in him?"

Wangji: "He didn't say. He seems as confused as the rest of us."

Cheng: "Why did his look and weapons change colors?"

Wangji shakes his head.

Zewu Jung: "Uncle sent a letter before I arrived. He's visiting the last healer on his list as we speak. We should travel as soon as possible back to Cloud Recesses before more people show up. We cannot protect him here as well as we can back home."

Both men nodded and they hatched a plan before they retired.

Wangji approached the bed he shared with Wuxian. His sleeping mate looks so peaceful and ethereal with his long golden hair and pale complexion. The snake seems to sense his presence and moves to make space for him near Wuxian. He smiles and lays behind his soul-bond, pulling him close to take a deep breath from his comforting smell. He thanks the heavens for the blessed day and falls asleep with a smile on his face.