Chapter 9 - Together Alone

Warning: mentions of addiction
•••••••

The atmosphere in the apartment is weird. Not like when Miles was turned and didn't speak to anyone for days, because now, none of them are speaking to each other. They just didn't know what to say.

Good job doesn't feel right.

We'll get 'em next time is completely off the table.

And are you okay feels like a dumb question.

Only silence, right now, feels right. Sitting together in silence feels right. That way they can dwell on what happened tonight by themselves, but still have the other's within reach to remind them that they're not entirely alone.

And so they continue to sit in their respective corners of the living room. Sydney on the sofa, Miles cross legged on the carpet, and Axel at their small glass dinner table.

Alone in solidarity.

Together in solitude.

Axel is spinning the stake Miles had thrown him earlier in his left hand. It belongs to no one now. It's previous owner most likely dead. But Axel has another idea for it.

"Here." He says, the silence the three had established and agreed on shattering at the sound of his voice.

Axel walks up to Miles and crouches in front of him. "It's yours now. Keep it for protection."

Miles tentatively reaches for the slab of metal, cool against his fingertips. Axel notices then the bruises on Miles' wrists. It's him, who's now reaching.

"You haven't healed yet?" Axel asks, brushing his fingertips over the purple skin. His own wounds had healed when they were running back to the apartment. Neither him nor Sydney have a scratch left on them.

Sydney perks up from laying down on the sofa, moving her head around Axel's figure to look at Miles. "You got hurt?!"

"I was trying to save Axel." Miles responds.

"You needed saving?!"

"I was in a predicament. But forget about all that, Miles isn't healing." Axel says, worry apparent in his voice.

"Stop being dramatic." Sydney walks up to the two of them, sitting on the floor as well, and inspecting Miles' other wrist. "It's the first time he's been hurt. It's gonna take a while for him to heal. He's still a baby vamp after all." Sydney pinches one of Miles' cheeks and he swats her hand away, giving his best attempt at a glare. She laughs in response.

"Yeah, that makes sense. I don't know why I didn't think of that." Axel replies bashfully.

"He'll be fine in no time."

And like a reaction to her words, Miles feels it. His body. The healing. The venom.

He gasps. "I think it's happening."

Axel and Sydney look at his wrists' as the bruises slowly begin to fade.

It's the first time Miles gets to consciously experience the vampire healing process since his death. And it is very much an experience.

The venom is like ice in his veins, making his body even colder than it already is. It's refreshing. And chilling. And makes Miles want more.

He can imagine himself becoming consumed by this. Overcome. The same way he did last time.

Wanting more. Needing more. Feeling more.

But all of his pleasures seem to be linked with pain. All of his desires turn into hurting. And his cravings aren't just cravings anymore. It's an addiction.

But Miles won't let himself go down that route. He can't. (Axel and Sydney wont let him slip away again. Slip under.) And so he silently begs for the process to hurry up and be over with. And when he can no longer feel the venom in his system, he sighs in relief.

It's over.

But when he opens his eyes all he can see is the concerned looks on Axel and Sydney's faces.

Miles is a little confused when Axel slowly caresses his cheek and asks him "Are you, okay?"

"Umm yeah? Why wouldn't I be?"

Axel and Sydney look at each other before Sydney starts speaking.

"Miles...you're crying."

•••••••

"Go to him Axel. I think it's best you two talk alone. I'll go see if I can find anyone who can hook us up with some more blood."

Sydney pulls on her leather jacket (her beloved denim one stained and ripped to shreds) and walks out the apartment, leaving Axel alone in the living room.

Miles had ran to the bedroom the second he touched his cheek and realised it was damp. Axel and Sydney thought he was in pain. They didn't realise that it was a different kind.

Axel slowly pushes open the door to their bedroom, seeing his boyfriend sitting down on the floor, his back resting against the bed frame. Axel joins him.

Immediately Miles rests his head on Axel's shoulder, and on reflex Axel wraps his arm around the smaller boy's frame. They do that thing again. Where they sit in silence. A silence built up on a million thoughts. Together alone.

"It was the venom." Miles whispers.

"I know baby, I know."

"It brought everything back."

Miles closes his eyes. Inhaling. Exhaling.

"I don't want to go back."