Chapter 17 - Feel better

"I'll teach you."

"To bite people?!" Miles exclaims, sitting up in his seat. Sydney tries not to steer the car off the road.

"No, not people. Animals. I'll teach you to bite animals." Axel says, trying to calm the others down.

It's been on Axel's mind ever since the incident with Miles. Biting people just feels wrong now. Axel still blames himself for what happened despite Miles telling him it wasn't his fault. It's hard for Axel to believe Miles when he was the one with the venom. He was the one who suggested it in the first place, who planted the thought in Miles' mind. He was sitting by the window in his bedroom, wanting to find another way to distract himself and ease his pain besides another blunt.

And to be honest, Axel's scared to bite another person.

Just as scared as the other two.

"You're being serious?" Sydney asks, sparing a glance at Axel who nods his head.

"Totally serious."

"But I like animals." Miles says innocently, his voice slightly sad at the thought of hurting one.

"I know, but we need to survive somehow." Axel says as he turns to face the boy in the back. "It'll be okay."

The car stops on the side of a field. It's well into the night now, bordering midnight. These roads aren't as brightly lit as the ones nearer to the city, so it's pretty dark, the kind of dark that doesn't change when you close your eyelids. But their enhanced eyesight allows for them to navigate despite the lack of light.

"Look over there." Sydney exclaims, pointing at a moving figure in the long blades of grass. The ambiguous shape takes the form of a fox, sly and slender.

Miles gasps as he lays his eyes on it. "I've never seen one so close before."

"I'll go get it." Axel says as he slowly advances towards the fox, keeping as quiet as possible.

"Don't kill it." Miles whispers from behind Axel's back. Axel turns giving Miles a 'really' look.

"Then what else am I supposed to do?" He questions.

"I don't know, catch it?"

"How the hell am I going to catch it without killing it?"

"With a cage."

"We don't even have a-"

"Guys!" Sydney whisper yells.

"What?!"

"It's running away." Sydney says, pointing at the fox that was running deeper into the field. "Well don't just stand here, go after it." She exclaims, as she begins to chase after the animal. Axel and Miles quickly do the same.

The three vampires manage to catch up to the fox, circling around it. The fox bares it's teeth at the three of them, taking a predatory stance.

"What the hell do we do now?!" Sydney asks, backing away from the fox whenever it gets a little too close to her.

"We close in on it." Is Axel's plan (although the other two don't really follow it).

Axel takes a step towards it, and the fox, feeling threatened, bites Axel deep in the arm as he tries to reach for it, tearing flesh and drawing blood. Axel yelps loudly, clutching his arm that's now bleeding heavily.

The fox runs between Sydney and Miles as they back away in fear.

"Are you okay?" Miles asks Axel, reaching for his torn sleeve. Axel can already feel the effects of the venom healing the wound, the flesh slowly knitting itself back together.