Chapter 16 - Thirsty

They only get back in the car because the rain stopped. Had it not, the two boys would have danced the whole night away. But it's not the same without the rain.

When Axel and Miles get back into the car, they shake their heads likes dogs. Sydney gasps as water flies everywhere, wiping away the droplets that landed on her face.

"That was premeditated wasn't it?"

The two boys look at each other and burst into laughter.

"It was Miles' idea."

"You snitch." Miles replies, nudging Axel's shoulder.

"Well I hope you guys like sitting around in wet clothes, because we've got a lot more of the journey to get through." Sydney says, starting the car.

They drive down the road for about an hour and a half before stopping again. They're at a gas station, the fuel running low.

"I don't know about you guys, but I'm thirsty." She says, laying her head back against the headrest.

"Here." Miles says, tossing her one of the many bottles of water they have in the back seat. The bottle lands in her lap.

"Not that type of thirsty." She says, throwing it back. The two boys understand immediately, and the yearning for blood becomes even more prominent now that it's been bought to their attention.

"What happened to the thermos?" Miles asks.

"It's empty." Sydney answers.

For a vampire to feel good they need to drink at least a cup full of blood a day, sometimes more depending on the individual. Sharing a thermos of blood kept them satisfied for the most part, but the uncertainty of when they would be getting their next drink made them panic.

It made them thirsty.

Really thirsty.

Especially Miles.

He's still a fairly new vampire with little to no training. And has never even felt his fangs extend until now.

He can feel the pressure of them against his gums, and the new shape of his canines. They become sharper and longer and fill his mouth uncomfortably.

The action can't be stopped. It's like a reflex. Miles sees the girl and he can't control it. She's around their age and walks right past Miles' window, heading to the restroom. He can practically hear her heart beating in her chest, like a drum in a quiet room. His senses must have subconsciously honed in on it. It's as if he can't look away.

"Hey Miles, you good?" Axel asks, looking at him through the rearview mirror.

"Yeah, I just need to use the restroom." He blurts out, rushing out the door and nearly falling to the ground. He follows after the girl.

The restroom is around the corner which means Axel and Sydney can't see him. Or rather, can't stop him. He waits outside the men's toilets for her to come out.

This is so creepy. He thinks. What the hell am I doing?

Miles shakes his head, finally coming to his senses.

I can't do this.

He goes into the men's restroom and rests his hands against the sink. He looks at himself in the mirror. Really looks. Not like those quick glances you do when you catch a glimpse of your reflection, he scans his eyes over every part of himself he can see.

I've changed so much.

Longer hair.
Paler skin.
No glasses.
But the same eyes.