Chapter 9

If I had to explain what type of person Adrian Vandermir was, I couldn’t. I couldn’t understand him even if I tried. Whatever he did had reason, and some reasons he alone knew. As for right now, the way he was looking at me felt as if it was real but it wasn’t. All these emotions and the manner in which he spoke to me was all just a sad bitter unfortunate yet skilfully realistic pretence. It was just a show, so people would think that we were actually about to be married so that we could get O’Neil off our backs. It never the less got me furious that we had to take such an approach. It was a lie and a joke, and it was all fake.

“You look better with your hair down.” He said as he took off the clip from my hair but still kept me locked in his arm.

“Adrian I…”

I didn’t care about this pretence right now, I just wanted to tell him about this unbearable pain. I needed him to get me out of here. I couldn’t deal with this tormenting feeling inside me right now. He wouldn’t want to leave now, I knew he wouldn’t. He wouldn’t want to listen to anything I said. He was an alpha, he doesn’t take the orders, especially if it came from a woman. I needed to think of something before I passed out here though. I needed to think of a way to influence him. I couldn’t think, not right now, I was a complete mess. At the corner of my eye I saw Mr O’Neil watching us, he was looking at me for the matter. Quite frankly the stare was making me feel mentally uncomfortable. That odd unpleasant feeling about him started to haunt me again. If he was really as bad as Donnie said, no wonder I was worried. What if one day he sees me alone? I can’t even bear that thought.

As Vandermir was about to walk away I stopped him, “Adrian wait.”

“What’s wrong with you Greene?” he replied in an amused yet bothered tone, clear that no one was looking at us, well except O’Neil but Vandermir couldn’t see him because his back was turned against him.

Mr O’Neil never kept his eyes off me which caused my insides to tremble. I knew if Adrian left, the old sleaze would walk up to me and in my state right now I didn’t want that. Adrian face turned a bit irritated at me for keeping him waiting, I was thinking too much anyway. Without a word I laced my arms around him, hugging him. Not like a quick awkward one, but more like a deep ‘I need comfort’ kind of hug. Maybe O’Neil would leave me alone now, I was with the one I ‘love’ anyway. Adrian on the other hand was a bit taken back from my sudden action, but as society saw us as a couple he had no choice but to put his hands around me and make this look as real as wrangler jeans, whether he liked it or not. It actually felt nice, it’s been such a long time since I had a hug from anyone, but this time it felt so different because it wasn’t just anyone I was hugging. This was Adrian Vandermir, the cold heartless multi billionaire who could crush a man with just a phone call. And none the less, this was the first time I’ve ever been so close to anyone.

I tightened my arms around him as the pain increased and closed my eyes, he wasn’t as cold as I’d expect him to be, instead he was heated and I felt somewhat protected. His cologne was spicy and rich, it was intoxicating. This feeling was so new to me I almost forgot about the pain and the old sleazebag eyeing me. Although I knew none of this was real, it was nice to have someone just hold me. His body heat was the most sensational feeling- electrifying actually. This moment right now was just perfect, in a weird twisted screwed up kind of way that is.

“When are you planning on letting go of me Ms. Greene?” Adrian whispered in my ear sending a shiver down my spine.

The agonizing pain was creeping back up on me as I brought myself back to reality. I had to tell him, I wasn’t going to keep putting up with this excruciating feeling.

“I feel terrible Adrian, I want to leave.” I said as I tightened my arms around him even more.

“What a pity.” He breathed with a soft wicked chuckle.