23. The Cat

Laurel Gilroy

I step out into the sunshine of the courtyard, my eyes flicking across the tables. The table that Wes sits at is still empty.

I haven't officially joined their party, I'm somehow skirting the edges of it. Which is fine.

Parking myself under the shade of a tree, the light sweater I have on catches at a scab on my inner arm and tugs at it drawing my attention. I gently pluck the material way, my thoughts drifting like they so often do until Mason fills my mind.

I only give him a moment to flash into my thoughts, that smirk that always had my heart beating hard. And his dark eyes that looked straight into my soul, searching for anything and everything to file away into the back of his mind only to pull it out and use it for his gain later on. That little piece of information was something I didn't realize he did for the longest time.

Miles away in my mind, I don't even notice that anyone has joined me outside until I hear my name screamed. It echoes through the air, getting picked up by the wind and carried off and for a moment I track its path with my eyes as it teases the leaves above me.

"Laurel!" Ellie shouts my name louder than necessary.

I'm forced to watch the same events unfold only Wes isn't at the table today. Either that or he's still in line.

"Come on Laurel!" Ellie calls again.

Blowing out a breath, just like before, I shove myself off the ground, tossing my half eaten lunch back in the bag and meander over. I know I should be happy that somehow I've found a group of people to buddy up with, you're safer in numbers in a place like high school but I really was okay just finishing out my senior year in solitude.

"So Wes help you with music theory?" Ellie asks. "He's a whiz at that stuff."

But even as I hope I don't get pulled into their circle of friends, as soon as his name comes up my curiosity is sparked.

Curiosity kills the cat Laurel, I remind myself.

I nod, "though I still don't think I know what's going on."

Brett laughs through his nose. "If anyone's going to catch you up it'll be Wes."

"Yeah?"

Everyone at the table nods, muttering confirmations. I pull my food from my bag and start eating again, trying my hardest not to glance toward the doors of the cafeteria every two seconds.

Savannah's telling the table about a recent discovery of an artist she made, explaining their technique with so much detail I can practically see it. I'll give her credit, she makes it sound beautiful.

But my thoughts can't stay focused as they drift to the missing member of their table. I stayed up late into the night, even though I wish I could say otherwise, googling his acronyms. Reading articles and listening to videos of others conflicted with the same issues.

Wes seems to have a lot on his hands.

And then before I can I stop myself I hear my voice leave my lips.

"Where is Wes anyway?" I ask the table.

They all chime at the same time "music room" like they're all connected, operating as one body.

"Why?" Even though I know the most obvious answer to the question is the piano. But I'm hoping someone will divulge why he's at the piano.

I watch a look get passed around the table until it stops at Brett. He clears his throat, brushing his fingers off on a napkin before he pushes his glasses up his nose.

"He said he didn't sleep well last night." Brett informs me. "Makes his tics worse."

It's interesting, learning their group dynamic. I wonder if Brett is this protective over all of them or if it's Wes in particular. And why?

Why doesn't Wes just protect himself?

I accept this bit of information and let the topic of Wes die as Ellie starts going on about weekend plans and James tells the table he's helping some guy named Darren. It's like they're all married, asking each other for permission and talking about their day and I wonder just how long they've all been friends or if they came out of the same womb in some freak unexplainable phenomenon.

They're too close to one another. Where are their secrets?

I crumple my brown paper bag in my hand, my dad's note now a victim of the garbage can as I toss it in. And as I head for the door Ellie shouts my name again.

"Where are you going?" I look back over my shoulder to see I have everyone's attention.

"Bathroom." I state and then slip through the door to the cacophony that is the cafeteria.

I'm not going to the bathroom.

Sliding my way through the mass of tables, I catch something that sounds too much like my name not to be it but I ignore it and push out into the mostly deserted hallway that seals the cafeteria in.

And then I walk the short distance down the hall to the music room. Before I can even see the doors I can hear him. The piano rippling through the cement walls, like it's calling for listeners.

I'll listen, I want to tell it. Immediately what am I doing sounds in my mind. I justify it by telling myself I still need help with music theory but really even I know I'm too intrigued by Wes to stay away.

It's obvious.

So I push through the doors of the music room. Wes is the only one in here, his back to me, seemingly unaware as he moves to the sound of the piano. His shoulder blades dance underneath the black shirt he's wearing, fingers deftly gliding across the keys and I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding.

I let my impulses take the lead and settle into the bench beside Wes as his head whips over to see who's intruding on his time. He never stops playing and neither of us smile which is fine with me. But as I sit beside him and he pours his soul into the piano I feel something shift around us.

                               ————————

It only took us 23 chapters to get a 1000 reads 😂. I love you handful of reader 😘.

Sorry about the excitement yesterday. My kid hit publish 😂