36. Parents

Laurel Gilroy

My weekend was uneventful, like I prefer. Though I'm now in a group chat with Savannah and Ellie. Apparently the only one oblivious to Savannah's crush is Brett. I still don't have the heart to pop her bubble, if Brett hasn't acted on her advances it probably means he's not interested and just trying not to embarrass her by openly denying her.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

Sawyer calls my name from where he's surrounded by his friends and even though I know right where he's at and that its his voice that shouts my name, I pretend I don't hear it.

I'm actually looking for someone else.

Trust me, I've battled with my thoughts over it a thousand times but I'm curious. So curious I'll go against everything I said I wouldn't do.

I can't help it.

There's something about Wes Thompson.

Rounding the corner, I spot his locker, his head ducked into it. No one else is with him yet which is perfect. I don't want an audience.

"Hey." I say my greeting low so that it passes just between us.

Untucking his head from his locker, hazel eyes meet mine but it's his hair that catches my attention. It's buzzed short on the sides, faded a little, the top a couple inches long but it's clean and meticulously done and it looks odd on him.

"You got a haircut." I state.

He laughs, tic-ing, the usual ones.

"Harper cut it." He tells me.

It doesn't suit him, his messy hair much more him but it does look good.

"It's nice."

My response makes him laugh. "I hate it."

A smile spreads across my face as he runs his fingers in it and messes it up, pulling at the ends.

"I don't like having to style it and stuff."

My eyes search his features, taking in the angles of his face and the colors in his eyes, and the smirk that pulls the corner of his lip upward. I hadn't noticed the slight dusting of freckles that dot his nose, so faint they're almost invisible unless you're really looking for them.

And something compels me to be bold. To be confident and self assured like I used to be. Before I knew what the fire really felt like. And I find myself reaching a hand up to rustle his hair, making it even more of a mess than it was before.

"I liked it better before too." I tell him. "But at least it'll grow."

Instantly I'm rewarded with a blush that tints his cheeks and a sheepish little smile as he drops his eyes to the ground.

"So how was your dad's anyway?" I ask him, shifting closer to him when someone tries to reach the locker I'm standing in front of.

Wes tics before he shrugs and instantly tics again. But the whole time I'm fixated on our close proximity. Wes isn't tall, not like Mason was but standing so close to him I still have to look up and it makes my heart start to pound a little faster.

"My dad got me a.." he whistles. "Keyboard. Which is cool."

I file this piece of information away for later. "Did you see your sister?"

He eyes me as I start to walk down the hallway, at first I think he's not going to follow, instead waiting for the rest of his friends. I watch him glance down the hallway but then he lets out a breath and follows after me.

"Yeah, where are you going?" He asks. "Everyone always meets at my locker."

I catch his tic as I smile at him. "The halls get too crowded."

"Laurel, I.." his head jerks to the side once and as soon as it's done he does it again, interrupting himself. "I need to go back."

"Why?" I feel a little daring, bold and a little playful.

I feel like me. Pre-Mason and his fire and I just want to hold onto the lightness that's sparked inside of me. But as I take in Wes's features he looks on the verge of panicking.

He tics again, shouting "fuck off" into the air. And it dawns on me then, why his sudden change in demeanor has happened.

"Right." I say before he can answer. "Come on."

Watching him tic again, I feel guilty. Maybe I'm just being crazy and his tics didn't increase suddenly but it doesn't seem that way.

So I grab his hand, lacing our fingers together as I ignore the increase in my heartbeat and drag him back to his locker just as Brett shows up.

                               ————————

I take a seat at the table, no one has ever verbally claimed their spot but nevertheless we always sit in the same spot. My dad at the head, my mom at the other end and me on the side.

"So when do we get to meet these new friends?" My mom asks, spooning broccoli onto her plate.

"You met Ellie." I say.

My dad hands me a plate of grilled chicken and as I stab a piece with my fork he says "barely. You dragged her back to her car so fast I feel like the whole thing was a mirage."

Rolling my eyes, I laugh through my nose. "Dramatic much."

"She's embarrassed of us." He tells my mom, the two of them teasing me right back.

I'm not embarrassed of my parents or at least not any more than any other teenage girl is. But I'm trying to not get too involved, granted I realize I already am.

I'll figure it out later.

"And you've been going to this boys house almost every day after school." My mom adds.

My dad takes a bite and with his mouthful he points his fork at my mom from across the table and says "good point. We should at least meet him, don't ya think?"

"He can't." I tell him and I honestly believe it.

I don't know how it works but Wes clearly has a routine that he follows and coming to my house is definitely not apart of that.

"Why not?" Both my parents reply at the same time.

But I just shrug my shoulders, not wanting to dive into Wes and all that he is.

"She's embarrassed." My dad says as my mom says "you should ask him."

Looking between them both I don't stop the laughter that builds inside me and tumbles out.  They're absolutely ridiculous.

"Come on." My dad nudges me. "You know you want to."

I roll my eyes, trying to stamp down my smile into indifference but the thought of Wes brings a smile to my face.

"See look at that Courtney." He says. "She's blushing. I think she's got a crush."

I pick up a piece of broccoli and lob it at my dad. "If you act like this I'll never bring anyone over ever again."

And all I get in response is my dad's deep rumbling chuckling as his head throws back and he laughs.

Parents, I tell you.

                               ————————

I survived up north with my mother, the two boys and my dog 😂😅. I'm exhausted. But we only had one tick appear. Of course it happened to be on the kid that already got a tick last year 🤦‍♀️. My dog only tried to eat the neighbors poodle once and if I'm being honest I don't blame her.

Bonus: I did write a lot while I was up there. Woo go me!

I'm going to sleep for forever tonight and I can't wait.