51. Coney Island

Laurel Gilroy

Molly and I meet at a Coney Island half way between my new house and hers. It's quiet, the young waitresses gathered around the register in their black uniforms as they laugh too loud about whatever it is their talking about. I'm inclined to smile at their happiness and maybe I would if I wasn't meeting Molly. If I was with Wes and his friends, the thought wouldn't even cross my mind. But as I slide onto the sticky vinyl bench seat, I keep my indifferent mask pulled right across my features, the same one that Molly is wearing.

She has her cheerleading uniform on, the red and white material popping against her olive skin. She always did look better in it than me.

"What took you so long?" She greets. "I've been sitting here like a loser for at least ten minutes."

"Traffic was bad." I supply even though it had nothing to do with traffic and everything to do with Wes.

I took my time leaving school, walking with Wes like we've been doing the past few weeks until I head for my car and he goes to the music room to wait for Brett. But even after Wes and I parted ways, I wandered through the halls, a silly smile on my face as I replayed the past few moments with Wes. I've been waiting for him to make a move, to unsure of myself to do it.

Molly brings my attention back to the present, thank god because a smile is tugging at the corners of my lips, something that always happens when Wes is in my thoughts.

"This food is so gross here." She whines, flipping through the menu before her phone vibrates and the screen lights up.

Teagan's name flashes across the screen and I'm expecting Molly to silence it and pretend like it didn't happen but she does the opposite, snatching her phone up and opening the text. Her eyebrows knit together, a crease on her forehead appearing that will surely end up a wrinkle later on because she makes this face more often than not. Her fingers tap away on her screen, eyes filled with annoyance, so much so she looks even more like Mason.

"How is Teagan?" I cringe at the shake that resides in my voice.

"Annoying like usual." She counters back.

Teagan isn't annoying. But she's a lot of other things. A back stabber at the top of the list.

"Be happy you moved away." Molly adds.

She slaps her phone back down, her brown eyes meeting mine and they soften. Which can only mean one thing, I look like a kicked puppy.

"Teagan's a bitch." She says. "And my asshole brother never deserved you."

I don't agree but it makes me smile. "I just miss the way we all were."

Her hand reaches across the table for mine. "I know L. But you still have me." Her fingers squeeze mine and all the distance that had seemed to form between us since I moved vanishes just like that.

"I've missed you." I tell her, a lump lodging itself in my throat.

"That's why I keep telling you to come stay for the weekend. Stop avoiding me." She cocks an eyebrow at me, her lips pressing together as she gives me that look like she knows that I know that she's right.

But I'm still not sure if I can handle going back home. If I can see Mason.

"I'm not avoiding you." There's a lack of conviction in my voice and I know that Molly hears it.

She's just like Mason that way, able to read people quickly, find their weaknesses and insecurities. What sets her apart from Mason is that she usually doesn't use it to her advantage.

Her brown eyes roll, the menu slapping to the table as she folds her arms in front of her. She leans in, closing some of the distance between us and I'm compelled to look away but I don't.

"Liar." She calls me out. "At some point you're going to have to just get over him. Besides you can't honestly tell me there isn't a boy in your new school. I've seen that smile you get."

Instantly heat floods my face and no amount of telling myself otherwise stops the smile that overtakes my lips.

"Ah, see." She points a finger at me. "Knew it, now spill."

Deny. Deny. Deny.

"There isn't anyone." I lie weakly. "I promise. Still as single as they come."

A waitress finally meanders over to us with two cloudy glasses of water and paper wrapped straws. Her hand lands on her hip, a bad manicure on her fingers as she opens her mouth to ask us what we want but without skipping a beat Molly flicks her hand at her.

"We're not ready." She dismisses the waitress.

I catch the eye roll and quiet mocking as the girl turns and leaves us again. She's probably going to spit in our food and even though I don't agree with Molly, this food is fine, average for a coney, I'm definitely not ordering anything now.

"So, out with it." She nudges me under the table with her shoe.

I'm not ready to tell her about Wes. I don't want to. I love Molly. But I'm not sure she'd understand. I'm not sure she'd be patient with Wes. Understanding, able to look the other way, past everything.

"Come on, you know you want to." She teases, a mischievous look dancing in the depth of her dark eyes.

Maybe I'll give her the basic information. That there is a boy and he's cute and nice and we're friends. I can leave out all the other stuff, give her something broad. I weigh the options in my head, wanting to confide in my best friend but also I've become aware of this need I have. A need to protect Wes. To shelter him from anyone who might not be willing to accept him as he is. I realize it's an impossible feat, one that I won't ever be able to accomplish. But I know what it's like to be steamrolled. To not know how to stand up for myself. And I think Wes suffers from a similar ailment.

But just as I go to finally give Molly information her phone buzzes again. It lights up with Teagan's name again, a picture attached and even though it's small and my angle is bad and Molly snatches the phone off the table in lightening speed, I absolutely know what I saw.

Teagan finally got what she wanted.

                                ————————

Alright so I think I might have found the end of the story. Currently 62 chapters with the possibility of an epilogue because you all know how I love those.

But don't fret. During my quest to find the end I've also decided we're turning this book into a series. You're welcome.

Currently at least three more books. Possibly more because let's be honest, these stories have a life of their own.

Anyone got some theories for me? I fucking love theories.