Chapter 2: A New Chapter

He went back inside to eat the breakfast prepared by his hardworking father. The moments were still clear in his head, and the letter is not any different from the confusion he tolerates. Everything was far from normal -- absurd even. He desired change but this is not what he had in mind.

Several hours have passed, Owen patiently waited in their cozy home. He had not seen the sunrise and sunset due to his illness; but he can at least feel its warmth in his chest.

The door creaked open in a gradual momentum, "Have you been doing well, Owen?" His lovely mother asked as she and Andrew came in with fresh goods in their baskets.

"I'm coping up, Mom." He showed a thin smile and a little later, he raised a question, "Can I tell you something, Mom? Dad?"

"... Sure, what is it?" Andrew responded as he plopped their baskets on the table, hesitant at first but willing to listen.

He felt anxious, took glimpses at every corner of the room; and eventually replied back,
"Um... You see, I got this letter which says that I'm selected as a participant at an event in Majon Town. If it's okay, I would like to--"

"Definitely. You can go!"

Owen was surprised, almost frightened. He never have thought that his father would agree to his request too soon.

Theresa held his hands and rubbed them softly, "You've been working so hard that we feel sorry you're living in this kind of life. Treat this as a special trip and don't worry about us, we'll be just fine." She stared at him intently, looking forward to his son's journey.

"I-I'm not expecting this at all." Tears fell from his eyes, down to his chin; he felt overwhelmed despite the sickness he had. It's as if his dream to travel is finally coming to life, and it will all start in Majon Town -- the largest in the City, the center of trading as well as marketing.

"Stop crying, Owen." He caressed his back, "Listen, we want you to have fun okay? You can make it out there, make us proud kid." He added as an encouragement.

"Yes, I will. I'm going to miss you, mom and dad." Owen embraced them tightly, it was a heart-warming moment for him.

The darkness has fallen and a gray shroud of mist enveloped the deep forest while stars illuminated the night sky. He pulled the curtains to take a peek on the sight outside and eventually drew it back.

He went to the bed looking cheery, and rested his body upon it, "This is it. The time has come. I will make sure to make the most of it." He closed his eyes and slumbered.

"It's your turn." A voice, deep and husky, was heard out of nowhere; it appears to come off from a man.

"Who are you?" Owen asked, intrigued.

The faint figure remained silent, then vanished into the darkness.

"Wait, you can't just leave like that!" He complained, but it was too late.

In a blink of an eye, it was already morning. Birds of white feathers flocked together over the rustling trees and chirped to the luminous day.

"Wake up or else you'll be late." A voice was heard again, but clearly from a different man -- it was his father's.

"Oh, right." Owen left his comfy bed and took his breakfast; his things were already packed by Theresa inside a hazel backpack.

"This kind of breakfast will always be the best." He muttered while chewing on the sandwich prepared by his mom -- It has fried egg, lettuce, red tomatoes, and strips of chicken meat drizzled with banana ketchup.