第4集

- Riyang pov -

I sighed with irritation at the servants who dressed me up in order to greet the princes that were to arrive later today. I disliked the fancy clothes given to me as if I was a doll for others to praise.

"Mama look at how fancy my Hanfu is! I've never had such pretty clothes!" I smiled as Shuyang came running in, showing off his beautiful dress and adorable smile as he hugged me. "I know you dislike it here as well, but we'll be together and fed now. You don't have to worry as much."

"I thank the heavens for giving me a son like you, my dear Shuyang. Please grow into a nice young man, stay brilliant and shining." I softly said, holding my breath as the door was opened, revealing a face I had forgotten about following closely behind my elder son.

We made eye contact and he stopped in his tracks, looking at me, Mingrui, and Shuyang. The other man beside him was confused, looking between the two of us for an answer.

"Ri, Riyang?" He stuttered out, making me back away from him.

"You, you were a prince?" I asked, holding Shuyang close as I found myself backing up until I couldn't go any farther.

"You know each other?" The other asked, earning a nod from both of us.

"When we were fourteen, Father sent me to find a wife. You remember that, don't you Yuan?" Yixing stated, earning a nod. "I met Riyang and fell in love with her. Father wouldn't allow me to marry her, though, since she was a consort at a brothel."

"But you made sure to leave behind a lasting memory in that poor girl's mind, didn't you?" Yuan asked, looking at Shuyang as I held him.

"Is, is he my father?" The small boy asked, turning around and looking at me for an answer. I nodded unwillingly, looking away to watch Yixing as he fell to his knees.

"I, I didn't know. If I did, I would've helped you become free a long time ago. I'm so sorry, my love." He whispered, looking for the floor in shame as he started crying.

"My older brother is the father to my younger brother? That is so confusing." Mingrui softly said, making Yuan sigh.

"That's the way of the Palace, unfortunately. One will get used to it the more you live here." He explained, making the younger nod as he began to understand the ways of the life he'd been born into.

"May we speak, alone that is?" Yixing asked, looking to me for an answer.

"Your Majesty, may you take the children out of the room?" I asked, looking to the other prince.

He nodded and grabbed his brother and nephew, leaving the room to Yixing and I. I held my breath as he stepped closer to me, holding a gentle smile upon his lips as he looked at me.

- Yuan pov -

I watched as the two boys happily played with one another, smiling and wishing for children to do that as well.

"Why are you staring like that?" I looked down and saw my nephew staring up at me with eyes of wonder, my brother standing beside him with an exhausted smile.

"I would like you two to be friends with your relatives as well. Treat them well and okay with them after your studies." I told them, earning nods from the two of them as I let out a gasp as I looked to the younger with a sense of realization. "You are the eldest son of the Crown Prince, which means you are next in line for the throne!"

"What?" Both of them asked, dropping their sticks and leaving their mouths wide open.

"I, I am going to be a king one day?" Shuyang asked, earning a nod from me as his brother smiled.

"That sounds like a dream!" Mingrui replied, hugging his brother with joy.

My eyes turned from the children to my brother as he came out of the residence, looking a bit disheveled but nonetheless happy as he walked over to us.

"I will talk to father. I would like my wife from long ago to be mine again." He stated, smiling at me as he planned out his wishes to greet father with.

"Did you have a pleasant conversation?" I asked, putting my thoughts together as he fixed his shirt, hiding a mark upon his neck. "The two of you were together alone for a long time."

"I will go to Father tomorrow. The sun is setting, and Huali wanted to see me today." He answered, ignoring my question as he walked away with a sense of happiness I hadn't seen in a long time.

"Who is Huali?" I stuttered as I looked to Mingrui, his big eyes full of wonder.

"She's, she's the Crown Princess, your sister in law." I softly replied, looking to Riyang's residence with concern. "I hope she knows what she's getting into if she plans to go down that route."

After sending the boys to their rooms I laid down and sighed as I heard the door open, done with talkative and inquisitive children for today. I smiled when I saw it was not a child, but someone I had affection for.

"Lin Lin, how are you tonight? I didn't expect a visit." I asked as she approached me, bowing before sitting next to my bed.

"I miss you, Your Highness, as do your children. It's been a while since you've seen them." She softly said, looking to me with a shy expression. "May I pose a question upon you, my Lord?"

"Speak, my love. You have my attention." I replied, playing with her hair as she blushed.

"Would you be delighted if you had another child, or is it frustrating for you to have three daughters?" She quietly asked, looking away as her blush became more apparent.

"Are you asking this because you're with child?" I replied making her give me a shy nod as I chuckled.

"What does that mean?" We both jumped and turned to see Mingrui standing sleepily in the corner of the room, just by the door with a confused look upon his face.

"Who are you to come into the Prince's chamber unannounced?" Lin Lin questioned, becoming agitated. I felt out a small chuckle, knowing what was to come.