第7集

- Mingrui pov -

I shook in the corner of the dark room, trying to not make a sound as the woman threw the expensive goods everywhere, screaming with jealousy as my brother came back from visiting my mother.

I knew she hated me, as well as who I was born from, but I didn't think she'd want to kill me just because she hadn't born a son yet, and mother had been blessed with two sons.

"Where's that bastard child now? I'll have his head!" She screamed, throwing a vase into the corner where I was hiding. I let out a cry of pain as the piece cut up my hands as it shattered and exploded. Yuan looked over and instantly held me behind his back as his wife lurched forward to strike again.

"I don't know what has gotten into you, Lin Lin, but I will not tolerate it. If you do not stop, I will have you sent to the North Palace." He warned, making her freeze with her hand midair.

"You wouldn't dare send the mother of your children to that place." She seethed, glaring at me with death in her eyes. "Why are you protecting him? It's not as if you share a mother. There is no point in keeping him alive."

"Gege, please save me," I whispered, earning his pitiful stare as I started sobbing, the blood dripping down my hands onto the floor.

"Guards, please remove this woman from my residence. Make sure she stays alone in hers until I call her." I let out a breath of relief at his words, falling to my knees as the woman left.

He didn't say anything as he cleaned my wounds. It was just us and the sound of the wind outside, a storm rolling in from the Northern mountains. I hoped Shuyang would be alright since he'd always feared the thunder.

"Gege, I'm worried for you and Shuyang." I softly said, earning his soft eyes looking at me with concern. "You seem to be conflicted with your wife, and Xiaoyang is scared of the storms."

"Don't worry about me, Xiaorui. I will be alright. Now that you're all fixed up, why don't we go see your little brother? I'm sure he'd like to know you are concerned about his health." I smiled as he led me out of the building and down the path to my brother's residence.

- Shuyang pov -

I flinched in fear as thunder struck outside, wishing my mother or brother were here to comfort me. After I was made known to my father, he took me and had me live in his residence with him and his other children.

"Gege!" I ran to my brother and wrapped my arms around his waist, sobbing into his chest as I felt the relief of no longer being alone.

"He was worried about you, so I brought him over." I looked up and saw Yuan smiling gently down at the two of us as if fondly remembering something from his youth.

"Thank you, uncle." He chuckled at my words, still getting used to the term as I was. "Is, is my mother happy?"

"Yes. She would be happier if she got her way, but she is doing just fine. She wants you to focus on your studies and become a great prince. Treat your siblings well and your father with respect." I smiled at his words, feeling as if that's the words I needed to keep going.

I would be fine as long as she was happy. I could endure the pain my stepmother inflicted upon me. The storm would fade, as would the wounds of the past.

"Gege what happened to your hands?" I asked, noticing Mingrui's hands bandaged and bloody.

"Nothing I can't handle. But how are you doing? I noticed a limp in your step yesterday." He replied, making Yuan look at me with concern as I whimpered.

"Hua, Huali hit me. She wants her son on the throne, and dislikes me suddenly appearing and getting in her way." I softly whispered, earning a sigh from the eldest.

"That's why Lin Lin was acting up as well, or so it appears. Huali must have said something to get her so upset about you two living here now." He muttered, deep in thought as he folding his hand into a fist. "That woman has too much power in this household. I must talk to brother about this."

"Father is already dealing with it. They were talking about sending her to the northern palace as a form of exile until she recovers from her insanity." I quietly said, making him nod in agreement.

"Good. I'll still inform him of your wounds. It will push him to move up the time of departure if he hears the next in line has been beaten." He announced, smiling softly before walking away to go find my father.

Mingrui hugged me as my tears began to slip from my face. I wiped the salty water from my face as best as I could, trying to remain firm and brave despite being weak from both fear and physical pain.

"Xiaoyang, you'll be fine. It'll take some time, but we'll all be okay and become handsome and strong just as mother wants." He softly said, parting my shoulder as he tried his best to comfort me and help me recover myself.

After the thunder stopped, I bid my brother a good night and went over to my bed, tucking myself in and staring out the window. I folded my hands and closed my eyes, saying a quick prayer for strength to overcome the trials the future will bring and for health for my family, both the ones I knew a long time and those who I had just recently met.

I wished I'd listened to mother about staying in the house and not disappearing into the palace to free her. Despite my thoughts, I knew this life would be better for everyone, even if there was a struggle at this moment. I would make sure it was a better life.