第5集

- Riyang pov -

I smiled every day as I walked past the Crown Prince and his servants. He would return the smile and slip a note for me to read later that night.

These few weeks since we moved into the palace were confusing times, with my children being removed from my hands and given to the princes to raise as their own. I'd been given freedom and a good rank, the one I was to originally have if my clan didn't abandon me, if not higher since I was in the palace.

Yixing would visit as often as he could, and we would talk all night long, or something a bit more scandal like. He promised to marry me, but his father was giving him a hard time. Despite that, he assured me that I would be his and often dropped off gifts to make my life a bit more luxurious.

But life wasn't very easy. As soon as the other princesses caught wind of who I was, they had their eyes on killing me. Not only was I the mother to a Prince of higher rank than their children, but I was also the one Yixing had his eyes on. His wife despised that my son would be the one on the throne when her son was born in the Palace rather than on the streets as Shuyang was.

"He doesn't deserve anything that has been given to him. My son deserves the throne." She hissed, slapping me across the face. I stood my ground and refused to cry, knowing it would only fuel her more.

"Shuyang didn't ask to be born by the Crown Prince, and I did not ask to become a consort for the crown." I softly said, looking to her with a smile. "I was forced into this just as much as you were, my dear Huali. Please do not disgrace my household because of your own pride being damaged."

She huffed and walked away, presumably to either Yixing or his father to request my head on a platter. Neither would give in though, since they both enjoyed my company.

"Mother, they want to change my name." I looked down to see Mingrui standing in the doorway with a pout.

"That would be reasonable since you are from the Zhang clan, not from the Fang clan," I replied, making him groan as he came to cuddle with me.

"But they don't want me to have any name from you. I will no longer be Fang Mingrui. They want me to be Zhang Rui." He whined.

"And it is a different character, I presume?" I asked, earning a nod. "Is that why you're upset, love? It's a different meaning from the one I picked for you?"

"I know it's almost the same, but it's different and it's as if they are taking me away from you. They have me living with Yuan ge's wife and children as if I'm one of them! It's frustrating." He explained, leaning on my shoulder as he pouted.

- Huali pov -

I seethed as Yixing as he came into the room, offering a curt smile as he sat down across from me.

"You requested my presence?" He asked, making me huff.

"You're touching that dirty woman, aren't you?" I questioned, making him chuckle.

"What is it to you? You know our marriage is purely political. There is no love between us." He replied, earning a laugh from me as I turned away from him.

"It took me three years to get you to look at me with anything other than contempt. It took another two until I was allowed to have a child with you. It was a blessing to have a son since he would be able to carry the throne in our name." I said, pretending to hold back tears as I glared at him. "And yet as soon as she was brought to the palace you've seen her every night."

"I love our son, but you know of my story. I loved her so much, and Father wouldn't allow me to marry her. This time, I can at least see her and be happy, even if I can't claim her as my own because you already took that position a long time ago." He replied, not even looking up to meet my gaze while he ate the meal before us.

"Would it be better for me to die? Shall I kill our son as well?" I asked, making him stop his movement and put his tools down.

"Why are you always so dramatic and demanding of me? I told you I disliked your tongue, why must you still speak so condescending towards me?" He answered, making me angry.

"I want my son on the throne, and I will do what it takes to make that happen. Do not underestimate my power in this palace." I threatened, smiling as he finally looked up at me.

"Do not underestimate my power to kill you for even threatening me." He said, scoffing at my loss of words. "Did you forget who you were married to? I am the Crown Prince. I can kill or marry whom I please, but luckily I'm a very nice person. Don't make me change that."

With that he left, and I was alone once again. I sighed, trying to calm myself down as his words left a mark upon my heart. I needed to get rid of that woman, and her mutt of a son. With a chuckle, I decided to visit my sister, Linlin. I knew she would help me since she could fall in the same predicament as I had found myself in.

"Jiejie, don't you want to keep your husband to yourself?" I asked, making her sigh as she put down her glass and rubbed her stomach absentmindedly.

"I know I have his love and affection. He only looks at me, and never even glances at anyone else." She softly said, smiling to herself.

"But what if that woman catches his eye? The two of them have been meeting for a while now. What if she produced a son?" I questioned, making her take her time looking for an answer. I smiled, knowing I had gotten under her skin.