Chapter One

~One~ Ebony

"Good morning, Ebony!" My mom chirped as I walked into the kitchen, pulling back my hair. I rolled my eyes and put my bag down on the floor and shoved my toast in my mouth. "Someone in a hurry?"

"Prom Committee meeting." I fibbed. My mom's face lit up.

"I didn't know you were on the Prom Committee! See, this is why you should talk about your life more, Eb! That's awesome!"

"Yeah, well, it's the only time I'm probably ever going to get involved in school functions, so hold your horses." I snipped and threw my bag over my shoulder. I pulled out my phone to check the time. "I've really got to get to school, though, okay?"

"Alright." Mom's voice lost some enthusiasm. Figures. It always did when I was a bitch to her.

"I love you!" I said with totally fake enhusiasm as I walked out the door.

"Have a good day!" Mom called as I shut the door and marched down the sidewalk to my little yellow Volkswagen Beetle, my little baby. I smiled, got in, and turned on the radio.

"Just a reminder, there is an open mic night tonight at Jay's Bar and Grill in downtown Seattle, so make sure you show up!" The deejay announced before starting "Spaces" by One Direction. I turned down the radio and drove to the school, thinking about that. Open mic night? I could sing, I supposed. Nobody from our school ever goes to Jay's. That place was a run-down dump compared to the rest of the city.

I drove down the small stretch of highway that it took to get to the school. I pulled into Millard Fillmore High School and parked in a spot. I sighed and slumped in my seat. I really did not want to be here today. 

Well, maybe Biology. The only positive aspect of Biology was a nice, socialite popular boy named Luke. He was my lab partner, and he sat next to me, so we talked a lot.

I got out, grabbed my bookbag, and trudged into the school, somewhat ready to face the day.