Chapter Five

~Five~ Luke

"You ready, mate?" My friend Ashton beamed at me. 

"As ready as I'll ever be." I gulped as the bar got quiet. I found myself wondering, hoping that Ebony was here. I was sure she was, as we had been texting about it earlier.

I smiled at the thought of her. I didn't know what it was; her caramel eyes, her long gorgeous brown hair, that smile, her wit, her smarts. Maybe it was all of it. But I was pretty sure that I liked her. A lot. 

"You're in a different world, mate. Get ready." Michael laughed and slapped my shoulder. I smiled at him and at Calum, who winked at me. 

"Ebony?" He mouthed. 

"How did you know?" I mouthed back.

"You like her, dude. I can tell." He mouthed in response, and I felt my face get hot as we were introduced as 5 Seconds Of Summer. The crowd clapped politely as we walked into the stage, each of us a mix of a crazy emotion. I was nervous, terrified, anxious. But I was calm. As soon as I walked out, I felt this sort of wave of relief wash over me. I had no idea what it was or what it meant, but I sort of liked it. I walked up to a mic and stared out at the crowd.

And there she was.

She had on this really pretty peach blouse tank top thing, and she had layered a bunch of silver and gold necklaces on, along with some skinny jeans and brown combat boots. She grinned at me when we made eye contact, and I smiled back, making her blush and look away.

"Hello! We are 5 Seconds Of Summer, and tonight, we would like to play an original song for you." I said into the mic, Ebony now smiling at me again. "This one's called 'Amnesia.'"

Michael started the soft guitar riff, and Calum stood at a mic next to mine, as Ashton got set up behind the drums. Calum walked up to the mic, took a deep shaky breath, and began to sing softly.

I drove by all the places we used to hang out getting wasted.
I thought about our last kiss, how it felt, the way you tasted.
And even though your friends tell me you're doing fine,
Are you somewhere feeling lonely, even though he's right beside you?
When he says those words to hurt you, do you read the ones I wrote you?
Sometimes I start to wonder, was it just a lie?
If what we had was real, how could you be fine?
Cos I'm not fine at all.

I bit my lip and took over, singing the chorus with a lot of passion.

I remember the day you told me you were leaving.
I remember the makeup running down your face.
And the dreams you left behind, you didn't need them.
Like every single wish we ever made.
I wish that I could wake up with amnesia.
And forget about the stupid little things.
Like the way it felt to fall asleep next to you.
And the memories I never can escape....

Then Michael and I went into the bridge.

If today I woke up with you right beside me,
Like all of this was just some twisted dream,
I'd hold you closer thatn I ever did before.
And you'd never slip away,
And you'd never hear me say...

I got choked up as all four of us harmonized the final chorus.

I remember the day you told me you were leaving.
I remember the makeup running down your face.
And the dreams you left behind, you didn't need them.
Like every single wish we ever made.
I wish that I could wake up with amnesia.
And forget about the stupid little things.
Like the way it felt to fall asleep next to you.
And the memories I never can escape.
Cos I'm not fine at all.

Michael continued with his guitar, and I sang the last few lines, eyes squeezed shut.

No, I'm really not fine at all.
Tell me this is just a dream.
Coz I'm really not fine at all.