Chapter Four

~Four~ Ebony 

I walked in my front door, still smiling over Luke. God, I didn't know what it was about that kid that made me feel like I did. But I knew it wasn't normal. I mean, for God's sake, I had just gotten to know the kid a few days ago. I put my bag down on a kitchen chair. 

"Mommmmm!" I cried. "I'm home!"

"Hey, Eb! I'm in the studio!" My mom called. I smiled and walked to my mom's tiny art studio. Paintings lined the walls. Landscapes, buildings, people. You name it, my mom probably had painted it at some point in her life. She turned around and wiped her arm on her forehead, which had been covered in glistening sweat and now had a smudge of yellow. I smlied at her. "You're in a good mood today."

"Yeah." I smiled. "I'm gonna go to that open mic night tonight at Jay's, if that's okay with you."

She grinned. "Of course it is! May I ask why?" She smirked. "It  couldn't possibly be a member of the opposite sex, could it?" I felt my face get hot. "I knew it!" She squeaked, pulling a chair up. I laughed and sat in it. "Tell me about him!"

"He's in my Bio class." I felt my heart pound more and more as I spoke about him. "His name is Luke. He's a really cool guy, and the thing is he's popular, and I don't know, he's really nice to me. And we bonded over poetry today. He's a soccer jock, and he can quote Robert Frost on command. I don't know, he's just different."

"You like him." Mom smiled.

"I do not!" I laughed and leaned forward in my chair.

"Yes you do! So, are you meeting up there on a date?"

"He invited me to come hear him sing." I smiled. "And then we may hang out after."

"You don't have to sign up for these things, Eb. You can sing with him! Or to him!"

"Oh my God, mom, this isn't one of those stupid young-adult movies where the guy falls for the girl when he hears her sing."

She laughed. "No, no, you're right. What are you going to wear?"

"I don't know!" I laughed. "Can I borrow something of yours?"

"Of course." She smiled and turned back to her painting. 

"And Mom?"

"Yeah?" She asked, stroking a tree with a soft brown.

"I love you." I said, this time generally meaning it. I guess she knew I meant it this time, because my voice had a certain softness to it. She smiled at me.

"I love you too."