Chapter Two

~Two~ Luke

I dragged my feet into my Biology class, worn out from my day and glad it was my final class. A few fellow soccer players clapped me on the back, and girls giggled and simpered "Hi Luke." The only girl who didn't give me a special reception, or even a lick of attention, was the girl in the corner at the table I shared with her, Ebony. God, she was gorgeous. She had a book laying flat on the counter, and it was open and mostly finished. Ebony read like her life depended on iti, getting into the pages and twisting Juicy Fruit gum around her forefinger. I smiled and sat down next to her. 

"Whatcha got there?" I smiled at her. She slammed her book shut, looked over at me, and blushed.

"Oh, it was nothing."

"Tell me." I grinned, my lip ring shifting slightly. Her eyes followed it.

She gulped. "Just this book of poetry." She smiled sheepishly.

"Really? Who was it?"

"Robert Frost. He was this really famous--"

"I know who Robert Frost was." I smirked. “Some say the world will end in fire/Some say in ice/From what I've tasted of desire/I hold with those who favor fire/But if it had to perish twice/I think I know enough of hate/To say that for destruction ice/Is also great/And would suffice.”

Ebony smiled at me, impressed. "So the illustrious jock does know his poetry."

I smiled, loving it when she picked at me. "Yeah, well, I have my secrets."

"Oh, please, the entire school knows practically everything about you." She smirked, taking a sip of Dr. Pepper.

"Eh, not everything." I smirked back and got my homework out.

"Gosh, knows poetry and does homework? You're a real mystery, Hemmings."

I smiled over at her. "That's the point."