── 08

CONFESSIONS IN THE DARK

THERE WERE ONLY a few hours until the written exams, just a night's sleep away. It wasn't unordinary for you to lie awake at this hour, whenever it was the night before the exams, you would always have trouble sleeping. Because of your spiralling thoughts, you couldn't fall asleep. As you grew, you were able to find a method for you to fall asleep, and it required a certain frozen dessert.

In your flannel pyjamas, you jumped out of bed and ventured down to the common area. The floorboards would creak every time you took a step, the sound seemingly louder than usual. When you finally got to the kitchen, you smirked and swiftly made your way to the fridge, opening the freezer door ever so slightly. The sudden chill made you shiver, your hand darting for the tub of ice cream.

"Thank god there's some left," you mumbled, closing the door and went to grab a clean spoon.

There was suddenly a spring in your step, the early morning just an afterthought. As you turned around, a small gasp left your lips when you locked eyes with a pair of red ones, almost droping your precious tub of ice cream.

He looked dead inside, his eyes barely open and his hair lay flat on his head. You almost didn't recognize him- he was always so upbeat and overly friendly you would have never guessed that you were currently looking at Kirishima. It was kind of worrying to see him like that.

"Kirishima!" You whisper yelled, rushing to his side. You placed your food on the paper-filled table where he sat, darting your hands to cup his face. The cold feeling of your fingertips made Kirishima jump, waking him up a little bit as you start inspecting his face for any signs of sickness. Once his face heats up- a gesture you noticed he did quite often- you let out a sigh of relief, your hands falling off his face.

Your unneeded worry for the boy quickly turned into annoyance, your eyes narrowing on the said boy. You chop his head, "What the hell! You almost gave me a heart attack! Why the hell are you studying at this time anyway!"

Kirishima lets out a tired laugh, an uneasy smile crawling up to his face. "I just wanted to review it again before tomorrow-" he brought his hand to his neck- "I'm just really anxious."

Your shoulders slump to his mood, sympathizing with your red-headed friend. Today you spent six hours studying with him, and it was already late as it was then. He was only stressing himself out at this point, he was exhausted so nothing would even sink in his mind even if he tried.

"Kiri... studying this late is basically overkill. You're not helping yourself like this," you stated, taking a seat next to him.

He sighs, "But you look so confident and sure of yourself when we study... I wanted to be like that for once during an exam."

Your sudden laugh makes Kirishima glance at you with a blank expression,  unsure of what he said that seemed to amuse you. "I'm so far from confident," you start, leaning over and grab your stress relief. "Why do you think I'm up at this hour? I'm a nervous wreck!"

To prove your point further, you pop off the cover and take the spoonful of [flavour] ice cream, the ice-cold contents making your insides ease. The red-head beside you chuckled to the sight, your confession making him feel a little better for himself.

"Here-" you place your spoon in his hand- "It will make you feel better." Still half-awake, Kirishima just stared at the spoon, completely ignoring the fact that you were presently cleaning up his things.

"But... wouldn't that be like an indirect kiss?"

When you sat back down, you deadpanned to his face, completely perplexed as he just stared down at the silver spoon. "I don't whether to laugh or cry," you mumble.

"But it's technically true," he insisted.

"And you're a child." You pick up a spoonful and shove it in his mouth, his cheeks becoming rosy. You giggle, "you're pretty funny when your half asleep Kiri."

He grunts, taking the spoon out of his mouth. Kirishima glances between you and the almost empty tub, a realization dawning on him.

"[l/n]..." you look up from the ice cream, "are you the one who puts back the empty tub in the freezer?"

You almost choke, Kirishima quick to rub your back. "You're evil," he snickers.

"Hey, I'm allowed to have my moments. And you have to admit it's freakin' hilarious when everyone blames Mineta," you announce, imitating an evil laugh.

Kirishima smirks, "Never would've thought you of all people would pull a prank- especially more than once."

"Even I can let loose sometimes. I'm not always since perfect little student y'know."

After you both finish the tub, you bring Kirishima to the fridge and place the empty tub back. Being the little drama queen you are, you shook hands with the red-head and officially declared him your accomplice; Kirishima couldn't keep a straight face, trying his hardest not to laugh.

You were worried about how tired Kirishima looked, so you carried his things for him as you walked him to his room. It was the first time you went there, not at all surprised by his room decor.

Kirishima fell straight on top of his bed and fell asleep immediately, leaving a small smile on your lips. You placed his things down on his desk then walked over to him, grabbing his legs and throwing them on the bed.

After you managed to get him under his sheets, you let out a yawn. You watched as his chest moved to the rhythm of his breathing, a single strand of his hair falling over his face. Something about your study sessions being over now made you sad, not sure what would happen with the two of you.

Kirishima was pretty extraordinary, he was overall a sweet and affectionate guy. You were glad that you talked to him that day in class, even if you weren't the most approachable then. It wasn't a secret that this boy managed to bring you out of your shell, but he did make you realize a few things that you've forgotten about... and you were thankful.

You brush away his red hair from his face, heat rising to your cheeks as he scrunched up his nose. There was definitely something more with Kirishima, but you weren't sure what it was quite yet. However, you did what to investigate the feeling, and that's all the convincing you had to do for yourself.

────

kirishima with his hair down is a godsend . and u can't change my mind 😡

 and u can't change my mind 😡